1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to shooting, been shooting just about a year. I have been to 2 USPSA matches recently. They are very hard for me but I want to learn how to shoot better and have fun.

the main problem that I am having with USPSA is that the stages are too hard for me and require to many rounds.

from my understanding, IDPA is more realistic and doesn't require as many round and is also (somewhat) easier than USPSA.

Just wanted your opinion. I am practicing more and more to compete and better myself.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I started with USPSA and have still never shot a IDPA match. How many rounds are they using per stage? We have a cap of 20 per stage and we only have 4 stages per match. It does depand on the area that your in and the size of the match that they put on. One thing with IDPA you have to do is retain your mags if there are any rounds left in them at all. Good luck with your choice and safe shooting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last match was a 130 round min. 4 stages, about 25-30 each stage. I brought 200 and got away with a little under 50 left.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I much prefer USPSA 'freestyle' shooting to the more structured IDPA style.

USPSA or IPSC is sort of run and gun. You certainly don't have to run if you can't run well or don't want to. I usually take my time and focus on getting my hits. Some of the guys are Todd Jarrett wannabees, but not me. I'm quite happy to just get thru the stages. Heck, it's supposed to be FUN!

Could the issue be with the crowd you're shooting with? Some guys are really gung ho about the sport, ya know. It can get a little overbearing.

The IDPA style has some rules that don't suit me very well. I don't like the rule about empty vs non-empty magazines. I don't like the rule about shooting from cover. I'm just out to have fun and throw some lead down range. IDPA is way too structured for my tastes. But, it may suit you just fine?

One thing for sure, you won't know until you try it. My advice is to go to several USPSA matches in different areas and go to some IDPA matches too. Don't lose yer spirit!!!:biggrin:

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Shoot all the different types of competitions in your area at least 3X's. Then make your decision on what fits YOU best. I've shot USPSA, IDPA, Bowling Pin, Bullseye, NRA Action, Speed & Falling Steel. Bowling pins were/are my first love & favorite shooting discipline. Speed & falling steel next. Then NRA Action, USPSA, then IDPA. Bullseye last. Bullseye is just too slow for me. For "bang for your buck", I think USPSA is tops just because you get to shoot "soooooo" much. That's what I shoot when I just want to put a lot of lead down range. Don't get discouraged. Keep at it. Tracy

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
Shoot both if they're available to you. Sure the stages in USPSA matches are hard. But that's how you learn. You don't learn anything doing things you can do well easily. You learn doing things that are a little hard for you -- that challenge you.

·
Spell-Check at the ready!
141 Posts
Shoot it-- shoot them all. Just don't get offended when you get spanked. lol
Bring a friend or two and have fun-- don't get wrapped up in the gaming aspect of it.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
"Should I try IDPA"

sure, why not?

as far as USPSA being "too hard", don't sweat it.
Don't be all caught up about your scores compared to others
just enjoy the sport.

Someone mentioned the group you shoot with.
that can have an effect on the "fun factor" too.

I was fortunate to find a group that are easy going.
There are great shooters and "not so" great shooters there every month.
No one is made to feel "less than" because of skill level or gun they shoot.

find a group like that, and you'll enjoy the sport much more

..L.T.A.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Shoot what ever you can it will always inprove your overall shooting. I shoot Bullesye, IDPA, Steel. Bowling Pins and Police L Matches as much as I can. Besides having fun you will learn toward one or more of the matches then you can focus more on that style of shooting.
S/F Vic

·
Registered
22 Posts
I prefer IDPA to USPSA, you learn more about real world self defense in IDPA. I shot the Single Stack Classic a few years ago,and the SO on the first stage after I shot it asked me if I shot IDPA? I said yes. How did you know? He said you went to cover before you started shooting. Good habits are just as hard to break as bad habits. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm fairly new to shooting, been shooting just about a year. I have been to 2 USPSA matches recently. They are very hard for me but I want to learn how to shoot better and have fun.

the main problem that I am having with USPSA is that the stages are too hard for me and require to many rounds.

from my understanding, IDPA is more realistic and doesn't require as many round and is also (somewhat) easier than USPSA.

Just wanted your opinion. I am practicing more and more to compete and better myself.
I shoot IDPA regularly, and just shot my first USPSA. IDPA has more rules about all kinds of things, so if the safety officers are calling them all, you will make some mistakes, but as long as you are safe with your weapon and don't sweep anyone including yourself, or point past the safe points, it is only a matter of scoring. Just be safe and have fun and like the others say don't worry about the scoring and you will like it. It's good practice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.