1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
OHHHHH NOOOOO, you're hooked! First you get your CCW and now you're shooting IDPA. What's next USPSA, bowling pins, speed & falling steel, reloading?.......

Congrats, you've really joined the fraternity now! Tracy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh it gets much worse than that!! :tongue:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL, does the fraternity have a secret handshake?

The reason I wanted to shoot IDPA was because of my CCW. I realized that shooting at the range, while helpful, was limited in improving my defensive shooting skills. My first match already showed me alot regarding my strengths and weaknesses. I shot a lot better than I expected but I know I have several areas to improve in.

Also, if I had room in my apartment I would learn how to reload because ammo is freakin' expensive!!!!!

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
:wink: Secret handshake goes like this:

Pull slide back & lock, insert mag, release slide, aim and DON'T LET YOUR "HAND-SHAKE" :rofl::rofl:

Put it out to the other members, and ask about what others use for limited space reloading. Somebody did one of those threads on the OTHER forum. Had some good suggestions. Tracy

·
Registered
188 Posts
The best practice for IDPA doesn't require any ammo. Only a television set.

Seriously though, dry fire, presentation, mag change drills are essential and free.

Glad you enjoyed it. Look around your area for more venues. I shoot twice a month now and there are guys around me who shoot two matches a weekend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I do a lot of dryfire practice and it showed Saturday. I watched most of my squad fumble draws and reloads......especially reloads! Mine were fairly smooth and consistant. I hit the range once a week and practice draws and reloads at home 2-3 nights a week. In my area I could shoot twice a month but that would require a lot driving and my work call schedule just won't allow it. I am very happy to shoot matches once a month......for now anyway!

As far as reloading goes I just don't have room at all. It really isn't a problem buying ammo in bulk to save a few dollars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That kind of looks like my first loading bench. I used 4x4" legs and a 3/4" plywoood top.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Hey plowboy, don't you hate a bunch of enablers?

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
I nternational D efensive P istol A ssociation.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Good deal plowboy!!!:smile::smile:

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's a HOOT

Got in to it about 2yrs ago from a guy here at work and, Boy was I nervous that I didn't screw up and do something wrong..And always wanted to be last in line a just watch everyone go through the stages first, That did help alot to be sure I did all of the safety practices the same...Now it is second nature...aleast I came in 17th in SSP in the 2006 State Championship...

Anyone want to give it a shot :plugears:here in San Diego give me a PM..

Gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to shoot standard-gun IPSC and only recently shot my first IDPA match. The mag-change rules are a little bit weird, but I'm sure I'll get used to them :biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts