1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well I shot it and came out sharpshooter in CDP. I thought I did pretty well considering I completly botched one string cus I thought he said 2 shots to each target, he actually said 2 head shots to each target :)

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Congratulations, Red.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well if you shot your first classifier and got a SS in CDP you probably don't need my advice :) but a few things that I was told or figured out on my own make sense (for classifiers):

-- Practice it on your own and memorize the course so you don't have to think about what to do, rather than how you do it.
-- Take your time on head shots and long shots on stage three - the misses aren't worth the time you "save" by shooting faster.
-- Shoot left to right to let the recoil work for you in transition between targets (if you're a righty). I don't know if practicing this technique is a good idea for real world defensive shooting, but for classifiers and competition it makes sense.
-- If possible shoot in a short-sleeve shirt.
-- For the last string, position yourself such that you just drop on your knee on the start signal, don't make any steps toward the barrel (wasted time).
-- Know your load. Don't go to a classifier with a load that's different from what you normally practice with.

There are tons of other tips, but the main thing is to remember the course and to use sound technique on the draw, target acquisition and trigger release. I can't wait for my next classifier :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that with some practice I can do better, I was really nervous and besides the missed head shots I had a magazine issue at one point. I will most likely reshoot it when I get my new leather in for the Hi-Power so I can shoot ESP as well. I might go ahead and shoot it again for CDP to see if I can move up to Expert by picking up those 6 head shots and hopefully not have a mag issue.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Red; that is some good shooting I have shot expert now for about 4 years but can't make Master's even on a good day.:) I shoot CDP and ESP Classifications, I feel from Bulls-eye training it actually helped my shooting in the A zone, and at a higher rate of speed.

Vic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts