1911 Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the S&W Pro Shop, or any other gunsmith, can convert a scandium frame into a bobtail:thinking:? A 1911 PD bobtail would be an itch that I would like to see scratched:shades:!

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Probably have to have it done elsewhere, I have deen several but all done elsewhere.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just sent the slide of my 1911PD in for re-finishing, I will try and remember to ask them when they call me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would guess that the weight on this gun would be in the 28 ounce range, less than Officer model. Put it in an IWB:biggrin: and cover it with a loose tee shirt:nuts:,,,,,, all day carry comfort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Funny, this has been my dream gun for a while now... watching for a good deal on a Scandium... the only thing that would make it even better is if I could get a Commander Scandium with a rail and then bobtail it. Right now the only S&W Scandium with a rail is a 5" barrel . There's a Springfield Armory Railed Commander, but I've got reason to believe (no details yet, but something from what I think is an unbiased source) that the Springfield in question isn't a viable choice. Anyone know anything about that?

Stoney
{who's just looking and looking and investigating and trying to make sure I really am making the right choice... }

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of people love Springfield Armory, but I have never had one that I was completely satisfied with. For me at least, there has always been at least one issue with every Springfield that I've ever had (GI's to TRP's).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put in a call today to the S&W Performance Center, and got a big no :mad: to a bobtail job on a scandium frame (1911PD). I didn't think to ask why. I think I'll give Wilson Combat a call, if they won't do it I'll assume it can't done.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Of course it can be done, easier than carbon or stainless, but you should just have a smith do it rather than going to those guys. I know for sure Jess Gypen at on target has done scandium bobtails, try him. S&W probably just doesn't do bobtails at all. There are a number of smiths that do it, heck if it was mine I wouldn't hesitate do it myself:)

http://www.ontargetcgw.com/index.htm

Here is a scandium he did:

http://www.ontargetcgw.com/basefile/sw-bobtail.htm

Another:

http://www.ontargetcgw.com/basefile/sw-bobtail-02.htm

He only charges something like 60.00 labor for the housing itself, of course the price of the housing and if you want him to refinish that also.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I ordered a Commander size gun. Aluminum frame, bobtail frame, Heinie ledge sights,,,,,,,,,,,, but it's not a S&W. I didn't want to spend money "upgrading" a S&W, money that I would never get out of the gun if I sold it.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
So......what did you order? Fusion?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I didn't want to say it on a Smith & Wesson page, but I ordered up a Nighthawk Custom. I looked at and got a price on a Fusion, but once the Fusion was optioned out the way I wanted it, the price was too close to a Nighthawk not to just go ahead and get the Nighthawk. I'm sure the Fusion is a good gun, but I know the Nighthawk is a great gun.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
It absolutely is a great gun dilbert, congrats on the new purchase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts