1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first 1911. It is a Springfield .45 Loaded Stainless Steel. I have put a 100 or so 230gr. WWB and 230gr. PMC FMJ through it without any problems at all.

I have been researching self defense ammo and have landed on Federal HST 230gr. +P (I also plane to purchase a G30SF later this year for carry).

My question is this: Are the Federal HST 230gr. +P rounds good to shoot in my SA 1911 Loaded? The manual clearly specifies that +P should not be used in smaller barrel sizes but it doesn't specify either way for my full size 5" barrel. Someone also told me I needed to purchase an aftermarket spring to shoot +P ammo in any 1911. Is this true???

I’m just trying to clarify before I unintentionally abuse/break my new 1911.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
A heavier spring will absorb some of the beating...but if you go to heavy it will throw the timing off, and you'll get FTRTB.

IMO...+P in a 45 is a waste of powder.....all you get is more muzzle blast and flash...for only 100 more fps...thats about 68 mph...not much help on a 230 grain projectile.

But your gun will be fine shooting some +P...but I wouldn't use the +p ammo as range fodder. The standard pressure HST loads make excellent carry ammo too...Just my 2 cents worth...and it may be worth 1/2 that.

Reactions: esmith1721

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A heavier spring will absorb some of the beating...but if you go to heavy it will throw the timing off, and you'll get FTRTB.

IMO...+P in a 45 is a waste of powder.....all you get is more muzzle blast and flash...for only 100 more fps...thats about 68 mph...not much help on a 230 grain projectile.

But your gun will be fine shooting some +P...but I wouldn't use the +p ammo as range fodder. The standard pressure HST loads make excellent carry ammo too...Just my 2 cents worth...and it may be worth 1/2 that.
Thanks Ridge.
I already purchased some, but when I shoot these +P I think I will go to the standard HST.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I myself wouldn't worry about a new spring just to fire 50 - 100 rounds..but if you want to get one they are about $8.00 from Wolff gun springs (<<<Google it)...I think about 18 lbs. or so would be about right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts