1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long time 1911 fan,been shooting them since 69 or so..But recently I acquired a S&W M&P 9mm and I think that I will really like it...The grip is not too far from the 1911 and feels like it grew there..When compared with the Grock there is no comparison,the grock feels like a 2+4..Haven't put a lot of rounds through it yet but I will..Can even shoot lead bullets with no fear of a kaboom..
My only complaint is the sights as my old eyes need help and everything else I shoot wears a slide mounted red dot..I have a mixture of sights,from the old Tasco Optima,J-Points,Burris Fastfire and the Docter..They all work great..Hope I can find a mount for the M&P..
So has anybody else here tried this neat weapon ??
I have already formed my opinion bot would like to hear what others think..

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I have shot A couple and its not a bad Gun.. If i was buying tupperware right now that would be the gun

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bompa, does your M&P have the "M&P drooping rail syndrome"?

I was really into the M&P's until I started reading about this. The rail on a bunch of M&P's droop down at the muzzle. I have seen them with and without this. One guy I know of called S&W and they said that is how its designed but I have also seen plenty without this drooping rail...

It seems as if a laser mounted on the rail wouldn't be able to be sighted in...

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
I shot one of the Compact models in 9mm. It was a nice gun to shoot once I got used to the typical tupperware trigger. I don't own any polymer guns but if I did my first choices would be an XD or a Sig Pro.
Shopping for a 1911 I shot around a thousand rounds in 1911 rentals, finding what felt good. One range allowed unlimited swapping of guns. I went through a XD, M&P, Glock and USP all in .45. Going from 1911's I felt the most comfortable plastic gun was the USP, it felt natural like a 1911, after the initial double trigger the single action was crisp and short like a 1911. It had a defined pull, able to get short without have to have a long reset, like double.

My only plastic gun would be a H&K, either USP or HK 45, would love to have a MK 23.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I shot my buddy's M&P in 40 S&W - maybe 3 mags worth. It performed well, even though I could see thru the frame! It wasn't to my liking though. Just didn't feel right. He has it for a home defense gun, but he mainly shoots and carrys one of his 2 Baers. Go figure...

I have a 2nd gen G17 stashed as garage gun/bug out bag gun.
But, I just don't care much for the polymer guns.
I wouldn't buy another one.

·
1911auto Supporters
341 Posts
Congrats on the new toy I have not messed with one myself as of yet but would like to get the chance to shoot one. Maybe I will run into one at the range one day

·
Registered
7 Posts
M&P

I presently own two with a third on order. It's Tupperware, no doubt. However, the trigger is easy to work on and it can be made as light as you desire. The reset can be easily changed. There are lots of sights available for it. It goes bang every time you pull the trigger and the bullets go where you aim them. I own a 3 1/2" compact, a 4 1/4" full size and I have on order a 5" Pro for shooting IDPA. I don't lay in bed with the gun in my hand gazing at it but one of the two is always on my hip. Forgot to mention they are less than half the price of my Sig or H&K and shoot just a well as either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My son recently bought one. It shoots well, but it's not a 1911. :biggrin: In fact we traded guns and shot. I told him it was nice and shot well, but not for me. On the other hand, he now wants a 1911. :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I just noticed Buds has these again for 439. shipped (If I remember correctly). There's also a new S&W rebate of 30.00 or 2 mags since the old 50.00 one expired. Not bad getting it and 4 mags for 439.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Shopping for a 1911 I shot around a thousand rounds in 1911 rentals, finding what felt good. One range allowed unlimited swapping of guns. I went through a XD, M&P, Glock and USP all in .45. Going from 1911's I felt the most comfortable plastic gun was the USP, it felt natural like a 1911, after the initial double trigger the single action was crisp and short like a 1911. It had a defined pull, able to get short without have to have a long reset, like double.

My only plastic gun would be a H&K, either USP or HK 45, would love to have a MK 23.
Yep,those USP's are fine handguns. I gave mine a glowing review on 1911forum a few years ago,and I would love to have one again. It just fit my hand well,and aiming was natural.

The M&P is alright. Seems to me that if you want a striker-fired polymer gun you just need to see if the M&P,Glock,or XD fits you the best. All three seem to be pretty good.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I just don't like the grip on the usp's and I really wanted one, I am hoping the hk45 is better (I have read so) and will probably have one of them at some point if I like the grip. The grip on the usp reminded me of the makita cordless drill I used to use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got one in .45, it shoots good and seems to be good quality. I like glocks and own all the .40 cal, some 9mm and a 45. This gun is easier to conceal than the G21

1 - 14 of 14 Posts