1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

S&W 686 dao

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  fiddletown 
#1 ·
I don't know much about wheel guns really, but a local guy has a police trade in .357 stainless that is very nice. The only thing is that it's dao. Is it possible to change it to da/sa?

#2 ·
I er, posted this first in the wrong forum to test the mods *cough*. Good work gottripletsnc, you passed.

#5 ·
That's what I am thinking, maybe the hammer, but I'm not sure.

#6 ·
OK I think I know the answer to the above question after searching around.

The pistol is a 686 police trade in that looks pretty good. It has the rubber grips and now that I have seen some on grunbroker it looks like they come with them. I need to measure the barrel, the guy said he though it is a 4" but after seeing pics I think it might be a 5". Not sure till I go back.

He's asking 350 otd and I might be able to get him down a little as he usually comes off theprice just a little bit. It's, as I said, a dao. What do you guys in the know think of that price and is it a good gun?

#7 ·
I've got a 4 inch 686 no dash with a set of rosewood grips, but it is SA/DA, but its gotta be the sweetest shooting wheelie I've got and I really like my Blackhawk in 45Colt.

350 aint bad, those things are over 600 new.

#8 ·
What does no dash mean and from researching I think it's pretty easy to put a new hammer in and go to sa/da if desired. I may go by and look at it again.

#9 ·
a 686- 1 means there was a change i would have to dig out the smith book to tell ya ..a no dash means its the original design no changes... all you would have to change would be hammer and maybe trigger

#10 ·
If it's still tight and in good overall condition then it's a good deal. Used around here they go for $450 to $500. 586's (blued version) are going for $400 and up.

I bought my brother in laws 6" last year for $380. How he came up with $380 I have no idea :crazy: but when he told me that he was selling it for that I grabbed it. It came with a nice holster, speedloader, and performance center trigger job.

A lot of the guys I shoot pins with shoot the 686 in double action. They have had what I consider extreme trigger work done to them which makes them really nice to shoot but they MUST use Federal primers or they have light strike problems.

#11 ·
OK, I went by and looked at it again closer. It's really nice, tight and it's a 686-4. It is a 4" barrel and as I said dao. I was off on the price, he's asking 375.00 out the door and says he won't budge on it. There is no lock. There is nothing else with it.

Is there a place on the net to check serials on these to see when they were made? I wrote down the serial.

#12 ·
Oh man, when I was leaving the shop a guy was walking in. The owner just called to tell me he bought it. What luck.

#17 ·
They're around. I suspect that S&W made a bunch of 686s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.