1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to a guy at work yesterday, and we got on the topic of guns. We started talking about what we had etc. Anyhow, when he heard that I had a 45 long Ruger he asked if I wanted to get rid of it, and I initially said no because it is a good shooting gun, but now that I have a 44, I'm not as tied to it as much as I used to be. Well the guy starts talking about stuff he has for trade, and when he said an AK, I told him I was interested. He says its a Romanian AK, with two 30 round mags. When I go back to work Saturday, he is gonna drop by, and I am taking that 45 Long with me. If everything is kosher we will probably trade. I hear that Romanians are on the upper side of being good AKs but don't know enough about them. I got the Ruger in a trade for a Marlin 30-30 I bought 15 years ago for 239$. That Ruger is about 400 now, and I also have two boxes of ammo, and a western style belt and holster for the Ruger that would go with it. The holster and belt cost me 150. So between cost of the gun, and everything else, I am looking at 600.

My questions are this

1. How can I tell its Romanian?

2. Is this a good deal?

I really want an AK, got an AR and enough pistolas, but no AK.

·
Registered
21 Posts
600 would be high for a Romy, but that has probably changed since the election. Might be a bargain now! I built two Romy kits, and at the time they could be had for about 350. This was a year ago, they MUST have gone up since then.

Also, consider how much longer you will even be able to "transfer" one.
Get it while you can.

Jeff

Ak's...fun to shoot, cheap Russian ammo(for now). Plenty accurate except in full auto, writhes like a snake. Hit the target with the first shot, then keep 'em running with the rest of the mag!

(Haven't finished the receiver on the flat dark earth one)

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Also, consider how much longer you will even be able to "transfer" one.
Get it while you can.

Jeff
Thats why I was wanting one.

I looked on gunbroker today, and most Romanian AKs are selling in the 5-600$ range

Oh, also, how can I tell if its a romanian?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh, by the way, many Romys are the "Romy G", identified by a large capital "G" on one side of the receiver. If the bottle wasn't in the way in the pic, you would see it on the FDE one. It's only on the left side. Both of mine had it in Red, but I've seen orange. Supposedly stands for "guard", or semi auto versions given to the peasants on the frontier to protect the homeland from marauding ruskies. Can you say "cannon fodder"???
I'm doubtful of this story, mostly because my de-milled kits came with full auto FCG parts, but not all of them. Apparently the kits come with various original parts, but not "all" original parts. If you get in touch with other kit recipients, you can make some full auto's. My co-conspirators got the same limited parts I did. Oh, well. That keeps me honest. Or at least legal.

WHICH REMINDS ME...If the Romy in question was made by the guy selling it to you, make sure it meets the legal requirements for Evil Black Rifles. There are certain number of U.S. made parts needed to make this an innocent, Non-Evil Black rifle. Yeah, same parts, just not Evil. Take off the EVIL Romanian flash suppressor, put one on that is identical, but with "us made" stamped on it...VOILA! Not Evil!!! That is some powerful U.S. MOJO.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He didn't show, so its kinda mute at this point. I am actually looking to get me a 9mm for practice, and a couple of guys in my Sunday School class shoot IDPA every other weekend, and I've been wanting to go, but don't really have anything to shoot IDPA with, so I'm kinda looking a 9mm to shoot. Looking at the S&W M&P's, or XDs. I saw a FNP-9 the other day for 299, I may do some horse trading. I'm actually thinking about putting up two of my pistolas to make a trade as I don't have cash right at this moment.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sell the Ruger for $400 and get the M&P. I shot one in 45 last summer and was very impressed. The only thing I didn't like was the trigger but then that is what draws me to the 1911. :biggrin:

There are some good trigger options out there for it. Quite a few of the guys on M4carbine really like theirs.

Check out the CZ-75 while you are at it.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, the guy never showed with the AK, and a buddy of mine wants my little Taurus 357 snubbie, so I am going to trade him for a Ruger P89. Since I have me a little pocket gun, I just keep the snubbie in the truck now, and the p89 can ride just fine in there. I wanted a p89 because about 4 or 5 guys from my Sunday School class shoot IDPA, and 45 gets real expensive real fast, and I ain't shooting a revolver for IDPA.

Anyhow, I got the 9mm thing worked out.
As far as the Ruger blackhawk, a local shop is gonna give me 300 for it, and with some Christmas money coupled with the Ruger trade in, I will be getting me a GSG-5 in the morning. 469 new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.