1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked one up for my girlfriends kids an almost 12 year old girl (who looks 15!:nonono:) I blame mom for the looks. Her son is going on 14 and is 4 inches shorter than his sister. :rofl:

I wanted a bolt action, with decent open sights to build a good foundation on for the kids. I have taught both of them gun safety, since mom has a 5904 with 16 rounds of Ranger SXT's post home invasion. (another story). I taught them rifle safety and sighting targets. We went to Ben Avery Range in Phoenix. I have to say one of the best ranges. As the RSO said anyone that hasn't been yelled at here is a liar!

I started them out on a bench with a rest to build sight confidence. I started at 15 yards using 8" targets.

Arianna put 7 of 7 on the first target right off the bat. (she can field strip a 1911 better than most guys)

Elias put 1 of 7 on the first target. Getting beat by his little sister was hard, I am sure!

He came around with some coaching and started getting a good sight picture and hitting 6 out of 7. We moved to 25 yards open sights, then 50 yards open sights 8" targets.

I dont have pics of the targets, my camera died. I was putting 1/2" MOA at 50 yrds, open sights. This gun is very accurate. Cheap, fun to shoot. The kids got a solid foundation on a rest using open sights. Next is shoulder shooting open sights and then comes the scope.

My girl did great and had a blast. I told her just wait till I get a .308 and we start shooting 300+ yards. She got excited. She now also wants to go varmint shooting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
She wants to go varmint shooting.
With a .308? :shades:

How about a Savage Model 12-BVSS in a .223? Cost per round is less than the .308 bullet and it's a blast to shoot. :biggrin: I run a Hornady 52Gr HP Match over 25Gr of Varget. 1/2" MOA is easy and I've had five shot groups in one hole at 100Yds.

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With a .308? :shades:

How about a Savage Model 12-BVSS in a .223? Cost per round is less than the .308 bullet and it's a blast to shoot. :biggrin: I run a Hornady 52Gr HP Match over 25Gr of Varget. 1/2" MOA is easy and I've had five shot groups in one hole at 100Yds.
:rofl: I should have been more clear. No varmint with .308. I have been drooling on the Savage model 12's. Either in .223 or maybe 22-250.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Well if you use 308 for varmint, then you won't have to worry about cleaning the things, or disposing of them when you are done.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Sounds like a fun time to be had.. i went varmint shooting with my 300 mag .. fun for sure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts