1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the search function but could not find this answer.
Is there a preferred method to removing staked grip screw bushings from an aluminum frame? I have tried the Brownell bushing wrench but no luck.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I have not removed them from an aluminum frame, but I would up using vice grips on a stainless frame. Manufacturers like to use red loctite and I wish they would use blue. Red is just too tight, I use blue and it works just fine. I used blue on my harleys, red was only on stuff that would NEVER be removed.

The bad part is that after using vice grips you had best have more bushings, they will probably be shot.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
I've never monkeied with them, so i don't clue.
so help with my learnin'....

if they're staked in, wouldn't you need to grind off the peened part of the bushing inside the mag well?

and are staked in bushings ever reusable after removal??

side note on screw in bushings

I have some slim grip bushing and screws on the way.
I'm 99.99% sure my bushings are screwed in only.

if the originals are loc-tite'd in, what kind of heat is safe to remove them?
Can I use a pencil torch?

I have a mini impact driver too, (some where:rolleyes:) if push comes to shove, can that be used with out up setting the apple cart??

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
13 Posts
to remove the ones that where in my Kimber Pro carry2 I used a 15 watt solder pencil I got at walmart for doing electronics , it took about 3 to 4 minutes of it sitting on it but it released the loctite .

its only way I could get it to break free.

I hope this helps and they are reusable if you don't mar them to much

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I doubt the Bushings are staked loctited yes.. as said above heat the bushings to break the loctite

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, but these are definitely staked. I do not mind ruining the bushings since I have a new set to install, but I am afraid of damaging the frame. These are the original bushings in a Colt Officers Model .45. I don't think they were also loctited, but I know they are staked.

If there is no practical, safe method to remove them I will just leave well enough alone and use regular grips instead of slims.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever get the bushings out ?

I fell into the AGI trap for a second fortunately I only bought the 1911 cd ... but the master Gunsmith Bob whatever his last name... Dunlap I think, is advises to use a new pair what he called pliers which were vice grips and just - elbow grease 'em out. His method was to preserve the original bushings but since you have another set I'd just turn the vice grips down on 'em tight and deep on the threads and work them back and forth slighlty if you can get them to turn tighter your on your way to working them out until they bust loose then clean up the threads and install the new set of bushings.
Or drill them out and order from Brownells the over sized bushings but you have to tap the new hole but thats the last recourse.
Believe it or not I bought a 2004 S&W 1911 Sc safe queen from Leroy Thompson a few weeks back and I wanted to put a pair of Mil-Tac grips I had on it and on and the last screw (go figure) which was a Torx screw was stripped to a perfect circle I tried dremeling down hex wrenches and tapping the ground down hex wrench into the screw but no bite but I had rememered seeing something that I hoped would work as so heres an idea ... I found at Walgreens of all places a set of Alden Corp Grabit Damaged Screw Remover and the screw it busted loose the first try so that might be the way to go ?
I was amazed that it worked so well but a grip screw is not the bushing but as they say " A ho is a ho!"
I just saw the date ' thedude' posted this but I am sure he has resolved this by now but if not this may be useful.

Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts