1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is the before

and the after

I used black oxide and tactical dark earth. Seems like good stuff so far. This gun will be wearing my 460 rowland barrel and will be my carry gun while fishing. So I should have some kind of an opinion of the finish by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Looks good!!!:smile::smile:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Looks Great Let us know how it holds up

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Yep, looks good and definitely let us know how it does.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Looks great! You did it yourself I guess?

PS you forgot to put the sights back on. Just tryin' to help.;)

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Looks great! You did it yourself I guess?

PS you forgot to put the sights back on. Just tryin' to help.;)
TA you are one helpful guy with a sharp eye.:notworthy:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My sights have not arrived yet:frown: Sadly I had to hack off the sights on this gun. They were Horrible. The only sights I have not been able to drift out. When I started getting mad, I just broke out the cutting wheel. I tried for 3 days to get the sights out before it came to that. When kimber pressed the rear sight in they galled the sight cut. Im pretty sure it aint ruined enough to where the sights wont fit in securley.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
All my guns are SS except my wife's Colt Special Combat. What's invoved in applying DuraCoat? I've got a Colt LTW Comm (aluminum frame) that I've been contemplating getting "bobbed" soon, and would have to re-finish the frame. How hard is it to apply and how hard is it to make work on aluminum? Thanks, Tracy

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I didn't Like the Mpro Sights on the Kimber i had either .. I prefer the Novak Style

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
What's invoved in applying DuraCoat How hard is it to apply and how hard is it to make work on aluminum? Thanks, Tracy
Not positive about alluminum, Tracy, but i "think" DC can be applied to anything wood, metal or plastic

this might help

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?ID=DCEFK&image=ezkit.gif&frameset=1

Personally, i've done two guns with it.
The first one i sprayed with an airbrush.
For the second one, i bought a HVLP sprayer.
It was easier getting good coverage with the HVLP pressure, but the airbrush will work too.

I found the whole process to be very DIY friendly.

As far as durabilty, the jury is still out for me.
(it CAN'T be any worse than Para's "paint jobs" though)

The latest gun I just did hasn't been shot since finishing.
The other has maybe a few hundred rounds thru it since finishing.
It's the one going thru the latest round of mods.
On that gun, i noticed some slight/small chipping on frame between the plunger tube slide rail cuts.
maybe I didn't degrease that tiny area well enough, I donno?.
Also , under the grips where a puddle of CLP often lays
(because of the way I lube after cleaning)
Which is to spray the internals, then blow off excess with compressed air.
i don't always take the grips off.
So excess CLP gets blown under the grips and stays wet.
In that spot, the Duracoat bubbled and peeled

It's easy to get a great looking finish though.
and more colors to choose from than you can shake a stick at.

Oh yea, you're MUCH better off with a compressor.
cause the canned air freezes and pressure then gets erratic.
I tried the canned air first, cause i didn't have a moisture seperator for my compressor.
I scooted on down to harbor freight and bought the mini seperator.
Then i was good to go..

..l.T.A.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I have read where doing duracoat or gunkote over a parked surface makes a HUGE difference. Park is not hard to do at home so it might be worth a try. The stuff that the guys that put out duracoat also put out is supposed to be real user friendly and I might just try that on my oacp over a hard chromed aluminum frame. You can duracoat aluminum, but you can't park it first and as far as I am concerned hard chrome over nickel on aluminum is well worth it. The durability of the surface of the aluminum goes beyone that of stainless or carbon, the ramp can be polished and will not scar up, etc. Ron Mahovsky will do an aluminum frame only for 55. and 14. shipping.

Here is the lauer park:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=122455

I have read that it can be strained and reused and the gallon jug makes 5 gallons of product, the 1 gallon jug would probably last a long time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Huh, I didnt thing Novak made an adjustable rear for the fixed sight Kimbers. Brownells only list the MMC adjustable for that model, thanks for the link!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts