1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy who has a limited budget is looking for a carry 1911. He has not given me a number but I am thinking $500-$700.

Some models that he is looking at:

Colt Commander
Springfield Champion
Sig Revolution
STI Ranger

What are your thoughts? Anything else he should look at? I have been steering him toward a traditional 1911 (no fp safety, internal extractor, etc) but it's going to be a carry gun so as long as it is reliable then I'm OK with it.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The Colt commander will have the FP safety but that is what i would go with out of the list last the springer

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I'm not sure what bud actually said in his post, but you said for carry and since the springer has more mim than any of them on the list and he said in another post he would not carry one with mim he must be saying the springer should be the bottom of the list? I agree then. The sig has no mim, the colt just a couple of parts, the sti more and the springer full of mim.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Good catch jerry it should have said last the springer not second .. I edited it

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
From that list the sig and sti are not going to be in your price range, not new anyway. The springer gi's and mil spec are in that range, the loaded and colt 1991 will be probably slightly over.

If you go over 800 the colt xse, dan wesson, sig and a bunch more are in that range.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Problem with Springer's for me in carry is the fact they ARE full of MIM. My Springer doesn't have any MIM left.
I would probably go with a Colt 1991, you would close to the price range.
Now that said, I like Springer's but the MIM's gotta go when I get them.
STI is too much, I've still got mixed feelings about the Sig's, Colt is gonna have the FP safety, and Springer will have MIM.

·
Administrator
1,288 Posts
I would go with the Colt also. The FPS can be removed if it really bothers him.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That is true, But I didnt bother to replace anything on the gun yet. I have about 2200 rounds down the pipe and nothing has broken, I have only been carrying it since Christmas though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I love my Colt commander. The biggest factor whether I take to the gun is reliability. It's like that old beer commercial: "Colt 45 - it works every time". Two things two watch out for: add the edges on the Colt 1991A1 are razor sharp (it's gonna eat your holster for dinner :)) and the trigger is on the heavy side.

·
Administrator
1,288 Posts
Denis, are you talking about the M1991A1 or the 1991 Government Model? Colt hasn't made the 91A1s in years.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Denis, are you talking about the M1991A1 or the 1991 Government Model? Colt hasn't made the 91A1s in years.
OD,
I see. I have the recent production 80 series blued commander. I went to the Colt website and they list it as model "O4691" Commander under 1991 Series. Time to change the signature line :)

·
Administrator
1,288 Posts
Yeah, Colt screwed us up again, keeping the same model number for two different weapons, the Government is still numbered O1991. :hairpull:

It does confuse the issue, that's why I normally ask when someone says they just bought a new pistol that Colt hasn't made since 2002. :biggrin:

I wondered if you meant the current pistols, we have had a few sharp ones go thru the shop, others aren't, ya never know what you are going to get. :thinking:

:biggrin:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wondered if you meant the current pistols, we have had a few sharp ones go thru the shop, others aren't, ya never know what you are going to get. :thinking:
:biggrin:
Oh, it's sharp, I gave it a workout yesterday. The skin on my stronghand thumb is split at the second join by the slide (I ride the safety). Also, because my thumb is on the safety, the serrations are doing a good job grating my thumb a size down :biggrin:

My government used to do the same thing. Over 5K rounds later it's smooth enough where it doesn't cut me anymore.

I still LOVE the gun!

·
Administrator
1,288 Posts
They are beautiful guns Denis, true classics.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a SA Loaded Champion that I really like and like redmonster13 I'm not afraid of the "dreaded MIM." I'm not sure when SA started using MIM parts, but I also have an SA 1911A1 that I bought in the late 80's that I've put thousands of rounds through without any reliability problems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts