1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of lowering my recoil spring a smidgen for a little recoil reduction.From a previous thread I learned my Super should have a 14# spring(roughly) and it was suggested to me to just get a multi-spring kit from Wolff or Brownell or....whomever. Now there's a new variable......"Progressive Rate" springs. So what's supposed to be the pro and con to a progressive versus a specific rate? What warrants their use?

Thanx.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
if you have say 14# spring with the progressive at the lite end might start as a say 8# spring and as it compresses tot he tighter wound end it finally stacks up to be 14#s

what that does is mainly allow for easier movement of the slide by hand...

thats a simple explanation .. are they better than a Normal spring?? I don't thing so but you can usually get them in half weights 16.5 etc and some people prefer that .. Les baer told me 18.5 for my 5" Target gun in a progressive spring

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you have say 14# spring with the progressive at the lite end might start as a say 8# spring and as it compresses tot he tighter wound end it finally stacks up to be 14#s

what that does is mainly allow for easier movement of the slide by hand...

thats a simple explanation .. are they better than a Normal spring?? I don't thing so but you can usually get them in half weights 16.5 etc and some people prefer that .. Les baer told me 18.5 for my 5" Target gun in a progressive spring
Have you ever used say........an 18# specific rate spring in your Les Baer?? If so, where there any changes or perceived differences?

My stock spring is specific rate, my curiosity was: what effect do progressive rate springs have on the whole issue of timing/pressure in terms of feeding,seating and ejection. From where my mind is on this is that the lighter initial resistance would speed up the ejection process, but on a scale of micro-seconds, graduate the perceived recoil. But in the the same turn, not provide the same force when it comes time to drive the round home. Am I right on any of this folks?? If you read this, and have any knowledge on the subject...please reply. Even if it's just to say I'm an idiot(i know i shouldn't have said that).I know diddley-squat when it comes to pistols, I'm just importing this logic from other arenas.:redface:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
It Came with a 18.5 and thats still what's in it haven't put enough rounds though the 5" to need to replace the spring

I have never noticed a difference between progressive and STd springs

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It Came with a 18.5 and thats still what's in it haven't put enough rounds though the 5" to need to replace the spring

I have never noticed a difference between progressive and STd springs
If Les Baer built you a gun for accuracy and said run an 18.5# progressive rate spring......he must have a good and valid reason. But you say between your 5" LB and another makers 5" with a specific rate, you don't feel a noticeable difference.........then I don't know what to think.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I have 2 5" baers both are sprung differently i dont notice a diff.. dont notice a diff between a 16# 5" either just not that much torque on a 45

All i can sayis try it your self and see. There is no reason to over spring a gun lots of people will change out the 18l.5 in the baer saying it is oversprung i go with what he recommends .. Why heavier it might be the tighter fit .. the Commander has a heavier spring also from less than a colt..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya know Bud,..Thanx. As I was reading your last post, I thought to myself..."Just try lighter specific rate springs first. That way if you get a particular result,it can be attributed to the change in weight!". If I change weight and rate at the same time, and something changes.......which was it? So lets just change one variable at a time.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
yep have you though of a flat bottom firing pin stop ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I sat down with Todd Jarrett a few years back and we talked springs. If your gun is running right, it should function fine with a 10lb spring.

Anyway, we did a lot of shooting, changing out recoil and main springs etc. I find that a 45 with a 14lb spring, runs every well and very smooth. Been running my guns for years that way, without any wear or damage.

Years ago when I tested recoil springs that came from the factory on several different makes, none came from the factory with the rated 16lb springs for full size, and 18 for Commander size. They were always lb, and sometime close to 2 lbs less.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep have you though of a flat bottom firing pin stop ?
Uuuuhm.......No? I don't even know what a flat bottom firing pin is. Wait a minute.........are you just having a laugh on me Bud??? If so....it's funny, if not..........I'm lost.

I run my PII's and my Concept VI with 18# and works well.
Never shot a PII or Concept. Let's keep in mind this is a .38 Super and not a .45 ACP.
I sat down with Todd Jarrett a few years back and we talked springs. If your gun is running right, it should function fine with a 10lb spring.

Anyway, we did a lot of shooting, changing out recoil and main springs etc. I find that a 45 with a 14lb spring, runs every well and very smooth. Been running my guns for years that way, without any wear or damage.

Years ago when I tested recoil springs that came from the factory on several different makes, none came from the factory with the rated 16lb springs for full size, and 18 for Commander size. They were always lb, and sometime close to 2 lbs less.
Thanx for the info wichaka! I like as much insight as possible. I think I'm gonna order a 3 piece kit from Fusion. It seems my stock spring is supposed to be rated at about 14 lbs. from Armscor, and Fusion sells the kit with a 9lb.,11lb.,and 13lb. spring. for $12.

Does anyone have an opinion of how many rounds per spring I should go through before making any decisions??

Again, Thanx to all three of you.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've used straight 18# springs before and didn't really care for them. Several reasons, but I didn't like the fact that it sped up cycling and thereby decreased the margin of error. Also, heavy springs speed up forward travel and exert more pressure forward on the gun where it was not intended. Impact rearward is ok. Impact forward is the enemy.
If anyone cares, an 18.5# variable wt spring exerts 7.4# of forward pressure, while a 16# straight wt spring exerts 7.9#.
I've found that variable springs wear much more quickly than straight wt counterparts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts