1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,
Recently my Colt gold cup model 70 had a failure to eject problem. When I got home and went to clean it I found the recoil spring guide was broken. The guide had a spring and a plunger inside the guide the one I recieved from Colt today does not. My question is that according to the manual the one I recieved from colt is the right one. Is the one that broke an after market part? and what is the benifit of the spring and plunger?
Thanks in advance
J.R.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The spring and plunger if the plunger is facing toward the front of the pistol is an older style recoil or shock buffer, They were set up to bump up against the recoil spring cap and slow the slide down just before it hits the frame. I imagine that they worked but I've heard that they put extra stress on the barrel bushing. Given the choice between a stock recoil spring guide and a "buffered" guide I'd go with the stock one.

"But I could be wrong"

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I tell you, I like gi guide rods better than any of that crap. They go inant 1911 I have except for colt officers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help
unfortunely the spring guide did not fix the problem and after two days at the range cleaning changing recoil springs ect tomorrow it goes to the gunsmith. it still fte. This afternoon I ran 4 magizines before it shut down. It does not stove pipe just leaves the casing in the barrel. Anyhow its time for a tune up anyway and mabey some upgades mabey a guide rod :confused:
thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I would not depend on an extractor to be drop in, I would be prepared to tune if needed. Yours just probabably needs to be tuned.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
When I got home and went to clean it I found the recoil spring guide was broken. The guide had a spring and a plunger inside the guide the one I recieved from Colt today does not.
Use the one Colt sent you, the other one is not a Colt factory guide rod.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.