1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I braved the elements for a quick range trip. It was in the low 20s and windchill quite a bit less...it even started snowing. But it was FUN.

I put 88 rounds through the Baer. Functioned flawlessly. Loved the feel of the gun, especially the very noticeable trigger reset. Pics are below. I was not aiming directly at the bullseye, the target was off center from where I was shooting (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I shot this one barehanded but my fingers were numbing my the time I finished. All mags were preloaded and I went through them pretty quickly. I am not a big fan of three dot sights as I have a hard time focusing on the frontsight in that setup. I will likely change the back to an all black extra wide one.

I also took my Colt Python. It was purchased used for a great price a while back...only problem was that it would have a light strike on one or two rounds per cylinder. I had the spring replaced and was still a problem. So I sent it off to a smith. I had gotten it back a while ago but had not had a chance to shoot it yet. I am glad to report that 135 rounds went through this (mixed .357 and .38 wadcutter) without any problems. This is only my 5-6th time to shoot a double action revolver so I am still getting used to the feel of the wheel gun.

All in all a cole but good morning.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great shooting!!!! Did you get an explanation about what was wrong with the Colt? I'm glad that they were both flawless for you.
It's kinda a funny story. The shop I frequent is run by a guy who can fix most anything (colt, sig, glock, smith and wesson, etc. armory graduate) and he took the first crack at it. When the new spring didn't work, he said the only thing to do was send it to this one guy they send things to when they can't get to them or if it is going to be a time consuming job. I said "ok", how much will it cost. He said "don't know, he picks the guns up, returns them whenever he is finished (could be days or weeks) and then tells me how much I owe him". The guy is apparently a huge Python fan and finished working on it in just a couple of days. When I picked it up there was receipt for $110. I asked the shop owner what the smith had found and he said he had no idea, the smith is a fan of few words.

So I have no idea what he did to it but it is working great and I can finally see what the fuss is about with these (before I would always just get too frustrated when I'd try to shoot it).

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Sounds like a hoot. I found that if I shoot a DA revolver first,I shoot a 1911 much better afterwards. With a shorter,lighter trigger the shots keep "surprising" me, before I can flinch.
Well, I braved the elements for a quick range trip. It was in the low 20s and windchill quite a bit less...it even started snowing. But it was FUN.
20's I can handle,but wind makes it killer. I was at the range last year after it snowed and I was the only guy there...it was very peaceful.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a hoot. I found that if I shoot a DA revolver first,I shoot a 1911 much better afterwards. With a shorter,lighter trigger the shots keep "surprising" me, before I can flinch.20's I can handle,but wind makes it killer. I was at the range last year after it snowed and I was the only guy there...it was very peaceful.
I was surprised by how good the Python trigger was in SA, broke cleanly and surprised me most of the time (minimal flinching)...if only I can mimic that in DA.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I am giving the Python to my Dad. I just bought some wood grips for it (they needed a screw so I found one on ebay) and I will put those on it, clean it up, and give it to him...probably.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.