1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Looking at slings for the AR-15 i have a normal style Sling on my Bushie and wanna go with something more Tacticool Since i know the Normal Rifle Sling leaves a lot fo be Desired so that say if the SHTF and I was hammering away with the AR and something broke.. or ran out of ammo i could let it go for the easy transition to pistol..

Easy enough but what to go with ?

Seems like there are a ton of options

3 point
With Easy Release Buckle
or solid

Or Single Point High Speed Sling

With either a quick release buckle
or Hk style Snap
or solid Webbing Fit

Would like some ideals from Guys who have actually used them right now im thinking the single point with the HK style snap looks like the best for my taste.. but have not made up my mind so i won't Consider the 3 point ..

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I like the one that goes over one shoulder, and it attaches to the butt stock with a snaplock buckle. However, the disadvantage to this one is that it doesn't lay right when its not in use. Why not the tactical style but instead of hard point attachment at the barrel and butt, it would have quick release buckle at the butt, and if you release, the gun drops. If you don't release it drops to your side out of the way.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use the Buckle instead of the HK(snap) release. i can see that so if Gun is total Fubar ya just drop it with the buckle

Did i get what your saying right ?

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Thats what I mean, if you run out of ammo God forbid, then the gun is nothing but a nuisance at that time. And you can do a quick dump, or if you have to duck behind low cover, that strap can make it very awkward, so the buckle can provide a quick dump and quick reattachment if needed. The single point would be good for low cover too, because it lays by your side, it can pushed further back or out to the side. The three point hitches would more than likely have the gun crossing your torso transversely and may inhibit yourself from getting small.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like the Singlepoint, from Wilderness Products.
I wasn't nuts over the Singlepoint until using it in a class where I was "bound" to the rifle for a few days, then I liked it.
I had used an old Boonie Packer three-point for a long time before, but the Singlepoint was a lot simpler to use, IMO.

A lot of people don't like the muzzle dangling by their feet when slung by a Singlepoint, but you can control that to a degree by how you let the carbine hand when slung.
When slinging the carbine, most let it drop so the ejection port is facing outward (RH shooter).
By giving it a little twist so it hangs to other way (the ejection port is toward the body of a RH shooter), the sling runs over the carbine and it's stock so the muzzle wants to hang with a forward angle rather than angling back toward the shooter. The muzzle is pointing at the ground just ahead of you rather than between your feet.
I think it's more out of the way and a little safer. It seems to hang more "solid" with less sway also.

Also, buy doing it this way, it seems like I free my strong hand up quicker.
I'm rotating the carbine with my weak hand, so my strong hand is free to immediately accesss my pistol.
I notice that some who let it hang "port out" (but not all) use their strong hand to lower the carbine since rotating it that way twists the VFG free from their weak hand.
I can even keep my weak hand on the VFG for more control of the slung carbine and shoot strong hand only.
Of course, you can just let go.

Whatever sling you get- always take the sling off of you by using the quick release buckle instead of pulling it over your head. It just gets you in the habit of always reaching for that buckle, which may be handy sometime if you need it off of you right now.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at a Spector gear and it had a buckle release any words on them ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use a 3 point sling from tactical Tailor. it'll convert to a 2 point pretty easy. i prefer the 3 point going thru the woods, but like the single point when doing building type things. For my single point, I have a Northeast tactical sling. It's the kind with the heavy duty shock cord attached.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts