1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may seem like a silly question but....

Will a 1991 series upper end work on a series 70 frame? I have an opportunity to grab a new 1991 slide/barrel/bushing/etc. for a reasonable price. I have a series 70 frame I have been thinking about building up and I was wondering if this is do-able.

For that matter what is interchangeable between the series 70/80/90 platforms?

I've never even held one of the 1991 A1's in my hand....

VR,
Harold

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Yes, it will work. You just need to take out the 2 series 80 parts on ehe slide.

Colt makes series 70,80 and 90 and the difference is the series 80 parts. FOR THE MOST PART the other parts are interchangable. Series 90 is what the defender is called, who knows why, 1991's are series 80.

By interchangable I mean the same parts can be used. Most parts on a 1911 have to be fitted and do not drop in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it will work. You just need to take out the 2 series 80 parts on ehe slide.

Colt makes series 70,80 and 90 and the difference is the series 80 parts. FOR THE MOST PART the other parts are interchangable. Series 90 is what the defender is called, who knows why, 1991's are series 80.

By interchangable I mean the same parts can be used. Most parts on a 1911 have to be fitted and do not drop in.
Thanks for the quick reply. That's kind of what I thought.

As I understand it this upper end I'm talking about has already been assembled and on a gun. (I don't know what happened to the frame but I'm gonna find out before any money changes hands...If this guy don't seem legit, I'm out.)

Anyway, it should just be a matter of fitting the slide to the frame and checking to make sure the barrel nests correctly on the frame when out of battery. Am I tracking here?

The lower end I have is complete so I don't want to do anything to it. Right now the gun has a comped barrel that has been fit really well and I don't want to lose the capability to use it when the need arises. The idea I'm kicking around is having a second upper end that is set up in a conventional barrel/bushing configuration. Kind of a secondary carry gun.

It wouldn't be worth doing if I bought everything at market prices...might as well just build another gun. But if I can work the deal on this stuff it's gonna be very inexpensive.

VR,
Harold

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
You should make sure the top end fits properly, no slop etc. If its tight it can be "massaged" some. Make sore the barrel locks up tight in battery. If there's too nuch slop in the top end and the barrel does not lock uo tight you can be all over the place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah...I figure if I get the slide I'll check it on my existing frame and see how close it is...

If it's way off I'll just shelve it and start getting the stuff together for a complete build...I'll still end up with a pretty cheap gun and may even end up with a shooter to boot.

I'll just have to check my parts inventory and see what I'll have to get then get my friendly neighborhood FFL to have a frame shipped.

VR,
Harold

·
Registered
82 Posts
Interchangable parts (again)

Mass production of machines using interchangeable parts started with Muskets. When I purchased my GI model pistol I was thinking that the pistol was made to military specs. The more I read though the more I find that the 1911 is not really a drop in part weapon. I understand some makers to make the 1911 for other purposes than a basic combat pistol and they have their market which encourages them. We have to understand by encouraging pistol makers to deviate from making standardized specification 1911 pistol we pay the price of making our favorite weapon less servicable by people who want to be able to drop in parts and be good to go to the range for testing. Perhaps we should come up with a standard set of specs and the ask the makers to certify that the pistol or a parts line they make meets those specs. I think there would be a market for true drop in part 1911 pistols.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Not from me. I don't see the point of all brands of 1911's being exactly the same and production type drop in triggers make me cringe. You can always buy a colt series 70 (which was carried when I was in) if that's what you want but it rould be pretty ridiculous if all makers made them exactly the same. I actually prefer mine tighter than the colts nant the first thing I do on most colts is fit a bushing, the colt drop ins are too loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.