1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. today I pulled the trigger and ordered an RIA Parkarized 5 inch 1911 in 38 Super. The fiend of mine who had considered a pricey used Charles Daly, also went ahead and ordered the RIA Parked GI in .45. So we got a pretty decent price by ordering the two guns together. And from my local dealer no less. He got the price to where there wasn`t much advantage to getting one off the net, when considering shipping and FFL transfer fees. So I`m happy, my friends happy, and my dealer is real happy. Now I just have to wait until the Guns get here....probably next Monday.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Good deal!!!! Glad to hear it!!:smile::smile:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Post some pics when it comes in

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats! IF you haven't had a Super before, you should really,really enjoy it. And I know you won't be disappointed with RIA either(if this is your first ria).We're looking forward to a range report kids.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My local dealer has one on his shelf. 399 + 9 background check fee. So 408 otd. What do you guys think. OK?
You may find one for less, but not by much from what I`ve seen. Based on the price I got mine for, we are quite comparable. SHort version....seems like a decent fair price!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy macaroni, the gun came in today!!! When I got the call from the gun shop, I thought they were calling to tell me there had been a problem, but low and behold, 22 hrs after ordering, it came in. So do I have it? You bet I do. I really had to switch up my afternoon schedule to get there in time. I`ll hopefully get a few rounds thru it tomorrow and give a little report on function along with.....pics.:wink:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here she is boys, in photo of first mag thru the gun, 12 yards offhand. The 5 other mags full were nearly identical for grouping. I ran a total of 6 mags, or 54 rounds thru it today. Not one FTF/FTE. Locally I could only find 1 box of Winchester FMJ in a true round nose, and the other box was Winchester FMJ, but their newer flat nose design. The Round nose FMJ ran perfectly. I did have one FTRB with the flat nose, in the middle of the mag. I`ll find some more round nose FMJ to run thru it to finish polishing the feed ramp a little, and I`m sure it will be good to go.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
good on ya!

my RIA 38 super doesn't care for WWB FMJ FN slugs either.
I had a hand full of hic-ups thru 200 rounds of it.

Though it's been flawless feeding the 800+ RN slugs I've fed it.

Magtech ammo is reasonably priced.
So is Armscor
Least they "were", last time I ordered some from Midway.

haven't looked at prices since I've had enough brass on hand to load up 1000 rounds

someone asked about prices.
I paid $380 + sales tax locally for my 38s.

if it would of been $400, I still would of bought locally.
Not only to support my local dealer, but also to visually inspect the gun I'm plunking my hard earned dough down on

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Looking Good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good, have fun. I also recently purchased a RIA super 38. It's going to be a learning pistol - how things work and fit. I picked the 38, because I will eventually fit a 9mm barrel.

I do reload, I have some dies on the way. Man, the factory loads are high!
I shot some Aguila - no real problems in a new gun, picked up some WWWB 130 flat nose, but haven't shot those yet.

I purchased through SARCO - $340 + $23 shipping + $25 FFL transfer - $388 out the door.

JPG

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Coker, check Midway for 38 super ammo.

They sell both Armscor and Magtech
both are good ammo and reasonably priced.

For my money, I always buy factory ammo for brass to reload.

You might check with Ivan or Ray at Armscor as well.
Maybe they have better pricing per 1000 rnd case

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
you dont really want super comp brass for it

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got my 4 boxes of Rem UMC FMJ today along with the 3 Mec Gar mags I ordered (I`ve been rather anxious about only having 1 mag). If mother nature cooperates, and if I can shake this flu bug, tomorrow I`ll get a chance to put a few more rounds thru this new gun. I`ll also probably get to see how the Georgia Arms 124 gr Gold Dot JHP`s feed and function once I get 150 or so more FMJ thru it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got out late this morning and ran 150 more rounds thru her (temp 17 degrees). This gun shoots great. I had about an 8 inch grouping at 15 yards offhand rapid fire. Not bad for me at all. This gun surely loves the Rem UMC in the round nose configuration. I ran 100 of it thru with 0 malfunctions period. But the Win White Box flat nose plain don`t work. At least one FTF with every mag. Maybe when it`s broken in better it will feed better. Time will tell. But for now it`s Rem UMC for her!! I forgot to take the Georgia Arms 124 gr Gold Dots to check for function. So that test will have to be another day. I think those will feed alright though...they have a relatively round profile to them. Time will tell. I sure love this gun!!:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts