1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man this thread is dead. There has to be more pt1911 owners out there. Come on guys lets get this place jumping. Lets let others know about the pt1911. It is a great weapon and I know there are commits and questions we all have.
I will get it started by asking how many of you have changed your grips. I know I did not like those ugly black things and changed mine out they are burled coco bola from Grip Guys cut for the pt1911. Lets see them or hear about them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For a while there were no forums where the PT1911 was present, but now there are several. It may take a while for users to find their way here. We're probably spread out all over the place. I found this sight while reading a post on another forum.

As for he grips, probably the first thing to go on any PT1911. <smile> I changed mine the day I bought my black PT home. Some grips come with a relief cut for the rightside safety, but it took about 30 seconds with a knife to provide the necessary clearance.

Still debating the Straight 8 sights. I shoot okay with them (when I miss I shoot high or low), but I think i like the three dot, or post in notch sight picture better. I was thinking of putting night sights on it. Heinie does make a three dot set for this pistol (but pricey).

edison

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Nice grips rdog.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
I really liked the Straight 8 Sights. I picked them up very easily.

I no longer own my PT1911,but it was a very good pistol while I had it. I really would recommend it to someone who wants something with a few upgrades,but is not wanting to spend a lot of money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
must say i dont like them being plastic but i love the thickness. somewhere between slim line and standard. i like my pt alot i have a very early sear. number 1st or 2nd run i think and have never had a prob. other than finish and i shoot it in comp. every month since i got it. best trigger iv ever felt on any gun. she's a keeper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my PT 1911 in January… I love it… very accurate with the hollow point reloads that I make for it… can constantly hit hanging eggs at 15 yards. I try to put 50 rounds through her every weekend… Never thougt about changing the grips for it… those coco bola grips look great… was actually thinking about getting another PT… I love the look of it in stainless and a pair would be nice to have in the case. I would carry it daily but it’s a bit heavy… I carry the P3AT .380 which is not as accurate but does group in its own way... but at the weight and size… it’s a great carry gun… the only thing that is wrong with my PT is the little scratch I put on it when cleaning it the first time… I think it happened when I put the barrel pin in… the forward piece going in the grove of the slide… put a 1/8 inch scratch just below the notch… I have tried to us the lead cloth but cant rub it out… oh well nobody sees it… very small… and you are right it is a great trigger…

·
Registered
5 Posts
pt ammo count and parts

in some gun magazine, in the pt review, the extractor broke at 200 rounds, has any body else had this kind of problem, and has anybody started changing parts, etc. i'm thinking about getting one. i try to shoot about 150 -200 rounds a month. and would like to keep in hand to loan out for people to practice with or qualify with.

they have them at sportsman's warehouse with laser grips for a ridiculous low price.

·
Nighthawk Custom Representative
206 Posts
Test Drive, you might want to try a set of medium checkered AlumaGrips. The have about the same thickness as the stock plastic grips on the PT1911.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got a PT1911 and have had only one problem: my 1911 HATES mil-spec mags! I've used it in two IDPA matches with no problems and probably have over 1,000 rounds (half rapid fire, half slow fire).

·
Spell-Check at the ready!
141 Posts
No problems with mine--- I think the PT1911 is under-rated. It's a great value and a good pistol. You get alot of bang-for-the-buck! :D (that one never gets old to me) :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Absolutely NO issues with mine... I just picked her up about a month ago and have about 300 rounds through her so far. Very accurate out of the box and I have Crimson Trace Grips installed as well.

Took about 10 mins with a dremel and a diamond blade to cut the right side of the ambi safety to fit the grips.

Some Pics:

Best "Bang" for the buck in my opinion. My sister has a Kimber custom II and my groups are just as tight at 25 yards.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Cabela's sent me what amounted to $150 off anyy purchase of $500 or more, so I immediately went out to see what they had in stock, and a very lightly used PT1911 caught my eye. I've been wanting to shoot one, and a guy jsut ordered grips for one, so I figured "what better time to pick one up than now?", so I did. Just got back to the office and haven't even taken it out of the box yet, but will do that tonight. I guess grips that actually fit will be available shortly. :thinking::biglaugh:
I like what I'm reading about you guys liking them though. To be honest, I never even looked in here or read up on it until now.
Sarge

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do a quick field strip grease her up and get to the range! :)

Check the ambi safety to see if it is loose at all as I have read that some had issues. A wilson safety will fix that... I have not had any problems with mine at all though.

Did you pick up a stainless or blued? Get pics up :) always like looking at pics!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Do a quick field strip grease her up and get to the range! :)

Check the ambi safety to see if it is loose at all as I have read that some had issues. A wilson safety will fix that... I have not had any problems with mine at all though.

Did you pick up a stainless or blued? Get pics up :) always like looking at pics!
I picked up a blued version. They had two - one the ambi safety seemed a little "soft". The one I bought it was nice and crisp. Hopefully that's a good sign. I'll post pics once I get some decent grips on her. :tongue: This is the first 5" 1911 I've had since I let my Gold Cup go years ago. They've all been 4 1/4" and less since then. I don't even own a holster to fit it. :rofl:
Sarge

·
Registered
29 Posts
Unusual

Hi!

Just want to say it's refreshing to come to a place where the people aren't "bashing" the PT1911. I suppose I may be a bit PO'd if I spent $1000 or so on a gun that had the same (or less) features. I saw these when they first came out in a magazine ad. Thought, now that makes sense! Plus I liked the way it looked.
I already had a Springfield loaded, but did really like the features of this one.
I found one at a gun show for $520 new, so of course I bought it.
The fit and finish on this gun is every bit as good (if not better) than the Springfield, and when I take them to the range the Taurus always gets used the most. It DID take a while to get used to the Heinie sights, but after following the shots backwards from the target it was easy to see where the sights needed to be, and I can shoot it very accurately now!
So, if you are considering buying one of these guns, listen to the people that actually OWN one, not the people that had a Taurus revolver from the 70's or whatever and have hated Taurus ever since lol..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.