1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to purchase my first 1911 and have decided that it will be a Kimber. I am undecided between the Stainless Pro carry II or the Stainless Ultra Carry II. This is intended as my EDC gun. From my reading of the forums it is my understanding that the longer barrel of the Pro Carry will create less of a chance of function problems and is a bit easier to shoot, but that the larger frame will also make it more difficult to conceal over the Ultra Carry. I am also probably going to go with a 9mm.

I will very much appreciate some guidance from the more experienced members here. Am I wrong on both or either of my assumptions, and what is your best advice?

Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Kimber CDP Ultra 2 three inch barrel and have absolutely no problems with it.
In face I already carry it and it only has maybe 200 rounds through it. It is a 45acp.
I use a Galco Phoenix holster in cross draw most of the time...but have used it strong side occasionally. I love this gun. Would not part with it. Have thought about the
4 inch barrel Raptor but will never part with this one.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
I second that! Bobtail = sweet carry goodness.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Ideally the bobtail is excellent.
I must say that conceal of the Pro Carry is not an issue w/ me. I carry it on my belt in a Tucker HF1. Shoulder rig is Alessi Body Guard.
I do not want to steer you away from the 3" gun. Nothing at all bad to say about them.
I have no problem concealing my full size SA 1911A1.
Which ever one you choose a quality belt & holster will be the key to comfort & conceal.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Any gunsmith or machinist can do it for you. Ed Brown sells a jig for proper MSH drilling and the bobtail MSH itself. Unless your gun is stainless, you'll need to figure in refinishing too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks guys. It was re-gutted with Ed Brown parts and went to Chuck Rogers for his awesome golfball frontstrap and MSH treatment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am about to purchase my first 1911 and have decided that it will be a Kimber. I am undecided between the Stainless Pro carry II or the Stainless Ultra Carry II. This is intended as my EDC gun. From my reading of the forums it is my understanding that the longer barrel of the Pro Carry will create less of a chance of function problems and is a bit easier to shoot, but that the larger frame will also make it more difficult to conceal over the Ultra Carry. I am also probably going to go with a 9mm.

I will very much appreciate some guidance from the more experienced members here. Am I wrong on both or either of my assumptions, and what is your best advice?

Thanks.

Ron
My EDC is a Pro Carry HD II. No experience with a 3" barrel but, do not find the 4" not a problem in the least to conceal. Body type and method of carry being a determining factor, I'm 5'9" and 200 lbs 34" waist...with a Milt Sparks VM-II my weapon disappears under a light shirt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You maywish to consider the Compact Stainless if you want an all steel or a Compact CDP if you want an alloy frame. 4" barrel and officer's length grip.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You maywish to consider the Compact Stainless if you want an all steel or a Compact CDP if you want an alloy frame. 4" barrel and officer's length grip.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. That is what I have pretty much decided upon. Probably the CDP because of the lighter weight since it is intended as my carry gun.

Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
My primary is an Ultra CDP II in .45 ACP. It is perfectly reliable and amazingly accurate. It replaced a H&K USPC which proved to be a tad too big for my tastes and not as accurate. The HK is mostly relegated to the safe and sometimes HD, now. The UCDP is quite small and comfortable to carry and shoot.

Though most of Kimber's problems seem to be with the Ultras, they can be quite reliable as well. Mine certainly isn't the only one. And their size, for me, is perfect for concealability.

Hope you chose well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cdp

CDP PLEASE BE CARFUL ON THE CDP me and a buddy got 2 they both jam on us so i started messing around they paint the allow witch does not allow for polished feed ramp so i polished the feed ramp and it helped out allot but i still get a missfed bullet once in a wile hope it is not at a bad time .yes i ded try the wilson mags no help either :hairpull:i paid a big dime for this gun and i am pissed they said to send it back but then i am unarmed

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is no paint on the frame. It's hard anodizing, and it does not effect the feed. If you polish the feed ramp and break through the anodizing, you've just ruined your frame, unless you quickly have it refinished. Aluminum oxidizes quickly, and unprotected is very soft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A good friend had recently won a Ultra Carry II at a NRA banquet. He brought it over to shoot this past weekend. It is in blue with NRA marked wood grips and standard "combat" sights.
I have a couple full size Colt 1911's and have shot several Kimber full size 1911's.
The little UCII didn't fill my hand but it sure can shoot well. From about 30' it kept a quarter ($0.25) size pattern without much effort. It shot exactly where it pointed.
We fired Federal and Winchester ball ammo. We ran about 50 rounds of each through it and had only one mis-feed with the Winchester. A round didn't feed out of the mag. But, it was a green gun and mag so it may take a few more rounds to break it in.
Fit and finish is very good. The custom NRA wood grips really looked nice too. The wood grips dress up the gun and have good checkering for a firm hold on the short frame.
My buddy is looking to put tritium sights on it in the near future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have both the Ultra CDP II and a Pro Carry II both have never had a problem of any type. I carry both at different times. Mostly the 3" in a Little Bear IWB, Both are very reliable, and are my Favorite 45's. Also have a Ruger LCP w/CT for a backup.:shades:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts