1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amongs the storing up of arms, ammo, water & MRIs, anyone else making garden & canning it.
My first since 1984. Broke it up the 2nd time today, limed it & turned that in. Will start planting a few thing in about 3 weeks I guess.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think we will see more of this going on very soon!!! Great idea if you have the room to plant, anyway to save money will help!!!:smile:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
My mom still has a garden,and always grows way more than she needs. I never needed one,I just freeload off of her. Mmmm....garden-fresh snap peas and green beans.....

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
We have ALWAYS grown a garden..I can NOT make it without home grown tomatoes, watermelons, green peppers and green beans.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When we finally move to the country this Spring or Summer, a garden will be dug. Good eating, better for you and enough to give some away and put some up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just came home from an economic summit at the theater i manage. People the numbers are staggering, this was hundreds of contractors out of work. The public at large has NO idea the true nature of what this year brings.

Farm that garden man, I don't have enough room, so im stuck storing canned food and water. Problem is you can not plant cans and get more cans...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've planted about an acre for the past 8 yrs. Canning season is a lot of work. but at least we eat well and cheap. For those just starting out I suggest you get heirloom seeds, if you can find them. currently I have about 200 tomato plats and maybe 150 pepper plant starters going Been letting people pick what they need for 5 years, and you can't hardy find people that will come and get it. Any one have a good idea how one should go about building a cold storage bunker?

·
Registered
69 Posts
For a typical family, if you have room for three tomato plants and a few bell pepper, you will have so many you will be giving them away.
DD

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
interesting this topic came up

I mentioned making a garden this year to my wife not long ago.

I used to make a fair sized one every year, but never canned.
What we didn't use or give away got tilled over.

I think we'll be canning this year

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have been thinking of planting a few things. My fruit trees grew more fruit than I could handle last year. I think I could make a small garden with no problem and use it for critter bait. I also think I could make wine. I know I can catch enough fish here. Reloading and reloading supplies are what I need to stock up on. I will slowly do that. It is a good time to save brass - that is for sure!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.