1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new (rookie) handgun owner and just ordered a New DW .45 CBOB. I have been reading on here some problems due to the tight tolerances and would like a specific method to follow before I take my new CBOB to the range for the first time. I have read about using Slide Glide #1 on the rail, and Weapon Shield on the rest of the metal, is this a good way to prep the gun before taking it to the range. Should this be done every time, or periodically after the first application. I appreciate everyones help and forgive my lack of knowledge and asking seemingly simple questions.

Thanks!

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
First off,welcome to the forum! You picked my favorite 1911 to start with...good call. ;)

First of all,do NOT use any kind of lapping compound on the slide or frame rails until you've shot it first. Just so you know. Some people might tell you to do it but I'd give it a few hundred rounds first. Other than that,any quality lube should work for you. Slide Glide,FP-10,Mobil-1,etc. Don't use too much either,just a light coat ought to do ya.

DW has not really had many issues with slide-to-frame fit,but some of their chambers are bit snug. If the slide seems to move ok but you have issues with rounds feeding,you may need to have the chamber reamed. Any gunsmith can do it,and most machine shops can if they know what they're doing. I recommend a gunsmith first though,and a dedicated 1911smith at that.

Before you worry,get out and shoot! I bet dollars to day-old donuts you won't have any issues at all. DW builds a quality handgun.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah, I agree with that assessment, shoot it first to see if there is even a problem before worrying about one.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Eric I also own a New Bobtail from Dan Wesson and so far shot 400 rounds without any issues. I use slide glide and Mill-Comm lube. It is a shooter I reduced the trigger to 4lbs
with the springs and took all the creep out.
It is a keeper

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I did

When I got my new DW, I field stripped it and cleaned it good.
Then I lubed it liberaly with mobil 1 oil. I used 15-50, different weights will work.
After I lubed it well, I hand cycled it 200 times. Then I field stripped it again, cleaned it well, then relubed it.
Finally, I loaded the magazines several times, and hand cycled between 50 to 100 rounds through it.

Cole weather has prevented me from going to range, so I will probably repeat the above steps before going to the range.

Rationale==hand cycling is less explosive that firing the weapon, less friction will be created, the surfaces will be mated better by the hand cycling therefore should have less trouble when actually firing the weapon.

Now I know this may be quite time consuming, but not nearly as much as having to send the pistol back to the factory.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.