1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which ones are they...
Or better yet, which ones are not position sensitive?
BTW...45 acp is the round in question, and I will be loading 230 grain XTP's for deer hunting loads...maybe a little warm but not +P.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Titegroup is supposed to be insensitive..

Also trail boss as it fills the case

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I would think that the powder volume is what is in question. If there is such a low volume of powder that it layers out in a thin line when the cartridge is horizontal, you could have detonation.

Or am I not thinking it through?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
No your thinking right primers .. but some powder is supposed to not matter so position insensitive is what they call um

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I understand it, from reading what I can find ...actual "detonation" is a myth but with some powders, the burn rates will vary enough to cause accuracy problems...inconsistent velocity.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Titegroup may work...i dont think I could get enough "horsepower" out of the Trail Boss.

Thanks Bud

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
If your loading for hunting it shouldn't matter what you use as the case will be full in 45 ACP unique or something similar will work for this just fine

Truly what you want is Temp insensitive powders but no handgun powders are made like that as far as i know

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Slower powders such as Longshot and Power Pistol give pretty much max velocities in a 45acp case. They fill up pretty good. In my experience (none with Longshot yet), but Power Pistol burns cleaner the hotter you load. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but Power Pistol burns cleaner the hotter you load. Tracy
I remember reading another post where you stated that...I made a mental note of it, and have already decided that I'm going to get a pound of Power Pistol in my first powder order...but I want a couple of others as well...just to tinker with. Thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts