1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
First post here. Picked up a RIA Tactical and I've already gotten the bug to make a few cosmetic improvements. I really like the look of a polished barrel along with an aluminum trigger.

Is it just a matter of going at it with a dremel or is it more technical than that.

By the way, the Rock is my first gun and I couldn't be happier with the accuracy and feel straight out of the box. Feels good considering I the amount of time and energy I put into researching my first purchase.

I appreciate the help... thanks!

-Kurt

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Hi all,
First post here. Picked up a RIA Tactical and I've already gotten the bug to make a few cosmetic improvements. I really like the look of a polished barrel along with an aluminum trigger

Is it just a matter of going at it with a dremel or is it more technical than that.

-Kurt
when you say "polished barrel", you're referring to the part you can see at the ejection port?

if so, put the dremel away.
Get some ultra fine sand paper from the auto parts store.

Remove and clamp the barrel down.
if you use a vise, wrap the barrel in a towel and don't over tighten

Start with 500grt and "shoe shine" technique to the barrel hood
Stay OFF the barrel lugs (those cuts just forward of the barrel hood)
Don't sand those.

The 500grt will remove all the finish from the barrel hood.
Next use 800grt (same "shoe shine" method)
last, go to 1000 or 1200 grit paper for the polish

if you want an "ultra mirror" finish, you'll need to buff with jewelers rouge.

However, the first time you shoot it, the barrel hood will get scuffed and you'll never keep an "ultra mirror" polish on it

Changing trigger is pretty cut and dried if you're able to completely detail strip your pistol.
Minor fitting "might" be needed

..L.T.A.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.