1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

Picked up my new off duty gun - GLock 20SF

8K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  donkey77 
#1 ·
Just got my new off duty gun - GLock 20SF. Just stock right now......soon to be worked on. :)

New 20SF barrel and 3rd Gen Glock 20 barrel . Case support is the same.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks beautiful, why not the 29?

#4 ·
Very nice I have a few Glocks myself. Looking at your pics there it would appear your loaded for Werewolves:rofl:. Looks like 175 grain Winchester silvertips maybe?:thinking:

#9 ·
what's the "SF" designation mean, Ray?
What's different between it and the non SF 20?

Thanks

..L.T.A.
Cap,

Glock calls the SF - short frame. Sort of weird. When the SF frames came out, it was with the GLock 21 SF that Glock entered for the new armed forces .45 pistol . The trials didn't go through and so the companies the submitted entries decided to sell their newer .45 designs to the civilian market.

S&W M&P, GLock 21SF, FN FNP45, and so on.

#10 ·
ah ha

Thanks

so can anyone tell me why Gaston Glock insists on plastic mags instead of steel?

seems he could fix that gawd awful grip Glocks are renown for and slim it down a tad if he used steel mags.

BTW, i own a 3rd gen 17.
I've learned to shoot it well, but the grip is just awful....
If Gaston would fix that, they'd sell millions more to the public at large

..L.T.A.

#11 ·
ah ha

Thanks

so can anyone tell me why Gaston Glock insists on plastic mags instead of steel?

seems he could fix that gawd awful grip Glocks are renown for and slim it down a tad if he used steel mags.

BTW, i own a 3rd gen 17.
I've learned to shoot it well, but the grip is just awful....
If Gaston would fix that, they'd sell millions more to the public at large

..L.T.A.
On the magazines, I figure it's cheaper to stick to that design than change to an all metal type. I do agree that if it was changed to a full metal type, then the grips could be smaller in circumference.

The Smith and Wesson M&P is another alternative to the GLock. I really like the GLocks and M&Ps. Now if they made a 10mm M&P, that's what I would buy next. :)

#12 ·
At the risk of hi-jacking your thread and getting off topic from your new 20sf

I like the M&Ps as well, Ray.

I've bought 2 new M&Ps in the last couple/few years.
One full size in 9mm that i gave to my son for his birthday and a 40 Compact for me.
Unfortunately the 40C had a fatal wart I wasn't aware of til AFTER I bought it.

It was bullet proof reliable for the first 500 rounds with nary a MALF of any kind
I had high hopes for it and was my carry gun for a hot minute.

UNTIL..I reached the 500-600 round mark.
It started dropping mags under recoil :eek:
I did a google research and discovered it was a fairly common problem with the 40c.
S&W was on there 3rd "new improved" mag catch by then trying to cure the ill.
I installed the "new improved" mag catch and it lasted 400 hundred rounds before it started dropping mags again.
So then I sent the gun back to S&W.

All they did was put another mag catch in it
(but it was the same type 3rd gen "new improved" I already installed as far as I could tell)

Being that I would never again trust it as a carry weapon, I traded it in on my gWock.

To be fair, from all I've read, it's only the 40c that seems to be plagued with the problem and i don't know if they've FINALLY cured it for good or not.
But just a heads up to those considering one.

My son's full size M&P continues to run like a sewing machine with nary a hic-up thru several thousand rounds so far.
and it surely has a much better grip than my gWock

..L.T.A.

#13 ·
I hear you on the M&P compacts tending to drop the mags. I had several customers making the same complaint. The mag catch shape help contribute the problem on the compacts. I reshaped them making it smaller. This procedure cured the problems with my customers. No problems yet with my M&P 45. I shot about 11K through it already.

#15 · (Edited)
NP, just wanted to make sure anyone reading knew. I would like to hold a g29 sf to see how it is, the .45's (except the g36) and have too blocky grips for me, I would like to see how the sf feels.

#17 ·
The only thing I own that resembles a Glock is a Smith Sigma .40 I hear they had to pay Glock royalties for every one they made. I like the SF but last time I checked it was not CA legal. Thats goofy all the others are. Yours looks nice wish I had it.

#18 ·
The only thing I own that resembles a Glock is a Smith Sigma .40 I hear they had to pay Glock royalties for every one they made. I like the SF but last time I checked it was not CA legal. Thats goofy all the others are. Yours looks nice wish I had it.
The G20SF and G29SF is on the CA DOJ approved list. I had to special order mine from an L.E. Glock distributer. I was told that my G20SF was in the first batch of 10 pistols to come into CA for L.E.O.s.

#20 ·
I had one of those I bought when they came out. Paid over 600. for it back then and sold it a few years ago. Put it on gunbroker a few years ago with a galco fletch, galco mag case and 3 hi cap mags. Took seneral times before it sold and barely broke 200. Should have just kept it, local shops wouldn't even consider taking it as trade in. The bruhaha with glock really hurt the value, they sold a ton though everyone thought they were out glocking glock but it backfired.

The 10mm is a good round.
Yep, just perfect for reloading.

#21 ·
175gr Silvertips/800X make for 1400fps/6"; very potent. :biggrin:

Bob

#23 ·
Thanks Rich, in addition to our problemic javelinas outback, there's a pair of large hybreds roaming the area who are taking out our feral dog population. Beautiful looking animals with the classic wolf print.
Girlfriend gets the G20 SF, with aftermarket fully supported barrel, after a few hundred more rounds, handles nice and is spot on accurate.

I believe the OP will enjoy his new Glock. :)

Bob

#24 ·
I am fond of the Glock Model 20 (along with the four other 10mm handguns that I own.) IMHO, the 10mm is the "king of the handgun rounds" with more versatility than any other manufactured to date.

So many to shoot, so little time.

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.