1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, Now that I have this cool gun, where can I find parts for it?
A couple of questions too if I may..
Is a single recoil spring better for this? (Has the 2 spring one now)
Should I get an extra recoil spring plug? (I hear they wear through)
Where do they sell Colt 6 round mags? (Mine came with two SA six rounders that seem to work fine).
And since the gun is the "same"? as an officer's compact, series 80, will parts for one of these work in mine?
Oops, one more. Are the grips the same as a full size?

Thanks for your help and opinions!

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
OK, Now that I have this cool gun, where can I find parts for it?
Which parts?

Is a single recoil spring better for this? (Has the 2 spring one now)
Not really better, they are both good.

Should I get an extra recoil spring plug? (I hear they wear through)
If you buy one, you might as well buy the reversed flange style.

Where do they sell Colt 6 round mags? (Mine came with two SA six rounders that seem to work fine).
Anywhere you can't buy magazines should have them.

And since the gun is the "same"? as an officer's compact, series 80, will parts for one of these work in mine?
Yes.

Are the grips the same as a full size?
No.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
Haven't seen any 6 round mags, Colt (or any others) on line.
Wilson has them, as does, Tripp, Metalform, Checkmate etc., most all the manufacturers has them.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
When looking for parts and mags look for "officers" not compact. That's how most are listed. I run the 7 round mags in mine, use a wilson's in it for carry. I also put the wilson follower and spring kit in my colt mags to convert them to 7 round. Never any problems and I likr the plastic followers especially on an aluminum frame.

I'm on my second officers acp and I use nothing but ismi flat wound springs in mine. They last much longer than the double spring setup. The only thing is you have to change the guide rod and plug tu use it.

http://www.ismi-gunsprings.com/

This setup is much better than stock as the original plug is held in by a tab which has broken in a number of guns causing the plug and spring to "shoot" out.

Kings also has a nice one with a new bushing:

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page04.html

So does egw:

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_25&products_id=275

You do have to modify the slide slightly for this plug but it's much better than the stock one.

Here is a picture, its from the thread where I did modifications on mine.

http://1911auto.org/forum/showpost.php?p=12536&postcount=4

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all this info! You guys are very helpful.
Looking at the pics, I am wondering how the reverse spring plugs come out?
And, ElPistolero, you said you only use ISMI springs, but have a thread on modifying the gun for an EGW plug.
And on magazines, if you use the Wilson springs and followers in a six round mag, that will give you room for a 7th round? (My gun came with SA 6 rounders)
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get things right. Again, thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Thanks for all this info! You guys are very helpful.
Looking at the pics, I am wondering how the reverse spring plugs come out?
The same as the stock one, its a reverse plug also.

And, ElPistolero, you said you only use ISMI springs, but have a thread on modifying the gun for an EGW plug.
An ismi spring comes with the egw kit. The ismi has to be used with a 1/4" guide rod which the ismi, egw and kings kits all are. The first oacp I had had a kings in it, I ordered an ismi (actually 2 to have an extra) and put one in.

And on magazines, if you use the Wilson springs and followers in a six round mag, that will give you room for a 7th round? (My gun came with SA 6 rounders)
Yes, colt oacp's come with 6 round mags and full size have 7 round mags. The wilson conversion kits will change them to 7 and 8 round mags.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get things right. Again, thanks in advance!
No problem at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.