1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and to the world of 1911s in general. I am looking into buying my first 1911-style firearm and have grown quite fond of the Para hi-capacity models I have been able to look at (I am intrigued by the LDA and think I'll like it). Does anyone have experience with these Paras?

I have read some feedback by folks written other places who had some feed related issues with the double stack models but most of them said they had early versions of the hi-capacity Paras and not a newer one.

There are four 1911s that I am thinking about (each pretty different than the next) but the Para has really grabbed my attention. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I generally like the Para's, I've had four of them and should have kept them.

I'd shy away from the "Carry" line, the abbreviated grip safety was bothersome if shooting more than two mags.

The Parakote finish doesn't hold up well, and I'm not talking about normal carry wear, I'm talking it made the gun look like crap after six months of carry. So wither go stainless steel or plan on getting the gun refinished eventually, if not right away.

I've had three hi-caps, an older P16-40, I had zero mechanical issues, but even on this older, non-parakoted gun, the finish on the frame liked to turn brown.

I also had a 14-45 LDA NiteTac, the LDA is a little different, and takes a bit of getting use to, overall I like the traditional single action system better, only because the LDA is somewhat of a "white buffalo" to gun smiths, and if you I wouldn't trust anyone other than Para to work on one as they are still somewhat new and incorporate lots of new parts.

I had zero mechanical issues with the NiteTac, but your mileage may vary.

The third was a Para NiteHawg, this was carried more than any other Para I owned, and exhibited the most wear out of the three. I found that while the 10 (11 rounds if topped off) rounds of .45, it was actually easier to conceal a single stack Commander sized 1911 with a total of 9 rounds on tap. The short muzzle and increased mass of the Hawg, made it unbalanced IMHO when using a Galco Summer comfort IWB (more on the holster deal below). I had zero mechanical issues with this gun as well. Actually, I never had an issue with any of the four Para's I owned. All dislikes were finish related or the abbreviated grip safety on my Para CCW.

The newer guns come with the PXT (power extractor), this extractor is pretty neat, but like the LDA it's new and not a lot of smiths have experience with it, so again, if you have problems (I never did) you're best off shipping it back to Para for service.

Hi-cap mags, if you go with the Hi-Cap, expect to pay a premium for mags, about $45-$50 per mag.

The hi-caps seem pretty bulky, and that was the main reason I sold off my two hi caps, they were just too big for me to conceal as easily as a single stack 1911 or other double stack gun.

Pending on which exact hi-cap model you're looking at, I'd take that under advisement. I think the "compact" guns may be easier to hide, but I can't guarantee that. Overall it was a combination of the width and length of the grip that made it harder to conceal. Granted, I never had what I could call an ideal holster when I was toting the wide body Para's and my issues with concealment may have been able to be cured with a better holster like my Milt Sparks Versa Max II. At the time I was carrying the Para's I was using a Galco Royal Guard holster and the increased mass and weight of the grip of a double stack 1911 made for...not necessarily an unpleasant carry experience, but have to say that a single stack gun was just more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal.

So if you're going to go with the hi-cap, invest in a good offset loop IWB like a Milt Sparks VMII, UBG Canute, or something along those lines.

Overall, if I were to be on the market for a double stack 1911, I would have no qualms going back to Para, there's just a few things that I would do.

1: Get the gun refinished right away.
2: Try and order a spare PXT to have it refinished with the gun (just in case)
3: Set aside $150 to get some more mags when I bought the gun.

IIRC Para's come with two mags, and I generally like to have 5-6 mags on hand for my main carry guns, and 2-3 mags on hand for back-up / "mouse guns".

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a P14-45 that I bought in 1997 that shoots dead on and have never had a misfire or FTF with Ball or FMJ ammo. I did have FTF with LSWC and HP until I smoothed and polished the feed ramp. In fact it is so reliable my son, who is a police officer, carries it as his secondary duty weapon. The only reason it's not his primary is dept. policy requires DA. The fit is excellant and finish has been very durable and shows negible wear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the replies. I have heard that parakote finish is not that durable and I tend to prefer stainless (as long as it has some cool looking grips :shades:).

I am looking at the Nite-Tac .45 Product Code: RX1445S, so it would be the full size in stainless, which sounds like the best bet for reliability. I am glad to hear that people's experience with the hi-cap models have been favorable. I really like the look of them and what I have read.

I am planning on looking for one at an upcoming gun and knife show. Of course, you never know what you are going to be able to find and what the deals will be at these shows...so I don't know for sure what I'll be coming home with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have heard that parakote finish is not that durable and I tend to prefer stainless (as long as it has some cool looking grips :shades:).

I am looking at the Nite-Tac .45 Product Code: RX1445S, so it would be the full size in stainless, which sounds like the best bet for reliability. I am glad to hear that people's experience with the hi-cap models have been favorable. I really like the look of them and what I have read.

I am planning on looking for one at an upcoming gun and knife show. Of course, you never know what you are going to be able to find and what the deals will be at these shows...so I don't know for sure what I'll be coming home with.
Hello everyone, I am new to this Forum, I came here from a link on the "Forum that (I assume) shall not be named here" :rofl: I am a big Para fanatic I own several including single actions, LDA, Carry, full size, single stack and double stack. I shoot on a regular basis and will contribute as much as I can to the forums.

I have several Para pistols. One of which being a 14.45 stainless. Never had any issues with it except for it is getting to the point I cant afford to feed it. I have both Parakote finish and stainless guns, I always prefer the stainless. If you scratch it, it is much easier to buff out than on the others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to own a stainless p-14. It had to polish the feedramp to get it to run some types of ammo, but after that, it worked fine. I found it to be a little too large for me to carry, so I eventually sold it. I currently own a p-12. The black coating is pretty fragile, and the feedramp also required polishing to run with all ammo. The replacement GR assembly is also kind of pricey............but the gun shoots well, is easy to control and is very reliable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I carried my P14 up until recently. When I decided it was to hot to carry something that big.

My friends always crack jokes when I carry it because I am tall and slender so it really sticks out. I just tell them the concealed is only strongly recommended in TN, I can carry open if I wanted to.

As far as the black finish on the pistols, That is why I always buy stainless except for my carry 9. I am not fond of the black finish either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two Paras, a P14 and Warthog, and love them both. The finish on both is great and held up really well. I carry the warthog in a desantis nemesis pocket holster frequently. I only had feed problems on the P14 before I know proper lubing of a 1911 and even than only with Wolf. Now I never have a problem. I highly recommend Para, great guns and the customer service is top notch. When I bought my P14 was during the satanic Clintoon administration and under the standard cap mag ban. Para's 10 rounders for the P14 sucked, but when they broke, after the ban expired, Para replaced them with standard cap mags at no charge. I have nothing bad to say really about Para.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts