1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a few posts under my belt before I realized that I need to introduce myself. :wavey:

I frequent some of the other forums out there including THR. I like what I see here so far.

There seems to be a lot of experienced 1911 people on here and a few of you are like me and do-it-yourself whenever you can.

My history with the 1911 started about 1984. I was in high school and got a magazine called Collector's Armory that contained model gun kits you could build. I saved up $65 and had my mom ordered a Combat Commander for me (had to be 18 if I recall correctly). When it came I put it all together and learned a lot about how a 1911 goes together. I still have it even though it is in rough shape after years of handling.

Years went by, the "wonder nines" were out, and a good friend recommended the Taurus PT99. I made the purchase but was never that great with it even though I liked the gun. I met a guy that was into 1911's and had a souped up Gold Cup. It was nice but after he told me what he had in it I almost croaked. :eek:

One day he called me and said that Norinco had 1911's for pretty reasonable so I found one for $277 out the door. About the same type I started reloading and found out how much the Norinco liked the 200 grain SWC's. A few more years went by and one of my fellow employees started getting into guns. He went from a Jennings to buying five 1911's that year, one of them was a Colt 70 series Gold Cup. The following year was 1994 and you may remember that year....the magazine ban.

My friend with the 70 series GC started freaking out and decided to trade me for the Taurus and two magazines. I was very pleased.
Later he sold me a 70 series government so he could fund a Glock purchase. I ended up selling it which some days I regret but I never liked the sights on that gun and didn't want to cut it up.

About that time is when Kimber started coming out with their Custom series and I bought a Stainless Gold Match. I liked it a lot but it was almost too pretty to shoot so I bought a Custom Target and sold the Norinco. :nonono:
Luckily, the guy I sold it to bought a motorcycle a year later and sold me the Norinco back to make an insurance payment.

My buying continued with a Springfield Loaded in 9mm and a Loaded Champion. Recently I sold the Champion and bought a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail in 45. The difference is night and day.

Today the safe holds the Norinco, Colt Gold Cup, Kimber Gold Match and Custom Target, Springfield Loaded, and the CBOB.

My next project is based around a 70 series GC slide that I bought on Ebay a long time ago. I think I am going with a Fusion frame and some other good parts to make another target 1911. I will post some pictures once the project is rolling.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Welcome marshall, hope you enjoy yourself here. Nice commentary also.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Welcome .. Wow a whoping 65$ for a kit wouldnt it be nice to be able to do the same today i would be in heaven

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a model and looks like this:
Marushin Combat Commander

It fires Plug Fire Caps. The "cartridges" are machined brass and look like 45 ACP's except that they are two pieces that thread together. You unscrew the base and place a cap in it then screw it back together. They load in a magazine that looks just like a 1911 mag. You pull the slide back and it loads just like a traditional 1911. Pull the trigger and it fires and the cases eject. Then load 'em up again. :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.