1911 Talk banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Captiva:
I've never heard of that, but that doesn't mean you're wrong.

Well made MIM is 96-99% as dense as the metal that it is made with in another form. While this doesn't sound so bad (and it's really not), I still suggest you swap out the MIM because you're relying on this gun to keep you ALIVE. When my life is on the line, 96-99% isn't good enough. And what's $150 in the scheme of things? (And I'm poor!) You can earn that money back in five hours of you life, but if your gun fails you may not have five hours of you life left to devote to laying in a hospital bed, let alone working.

OD*:
I never would've believed some Series 80 triggers were that nice until I saw what yours weighed. That's pretty amazing. That's one of the reasons I've always hated the S80, because I like my triggers like I like my calibers; it had better begin with a 4. Seeing what yours weigh, though, I may not want to rule them out anymore.

·
Administrator
1,288 Posts
Kyle, I didn't mean to imply that you can't get a bad trigger from Colt with the S80, you can indeed.

I have had some very sweet triggers from stock Colts with the FPS, I have also had some that should not have been released from the factory, but to Colt's credit, I have had far fewer bad triggers than I have had good factory triggers. If you would be unlucky enough to get a poor one, they normally only need a light stoning and some polishing to achieve a decent trigger pull. :wink:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, well... you'd better have a pocket full of OD magic dust to sprinkly over all those superflous parts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In my experience I would be inclined to rate the SW1911 in the 7-8 range. For a production gun at or around $800-$1000 they are a good place to start.
The three that I have had all needed replacement triggers, the trigger on my PD was so badly fitted that it would not operate reliably. While I have not had a an MIM part fail, I still prefer to have tool steel components. So there are two strikes against the S&W. On both my PD and blue 5" guns the front sights were not fitted correctly either. Both of the sight bases had aggressive tapers that prevented the blade from being driven into the center of the dovetail. So both guns needed some serious attention before their first trips to the range, not to mention prior to being a carry gun.
On the other hand, only a couple of the many guns that I have bought in the last few years have not needed some form of final fitting and or parts replacement to run correctly. One being my Benelli shotgun, the others being a SiG P220, and a GSR 1911.
What makes me rate them so high is that the slide to fame fit on the ones that I have seen has been very good, not too tight, not too loose, as is the barrel and bushing fit. The finishes have all been good, and all of them have been 100% reliable, and accurate enough to get good hits on anything inside of 50 yards.
Just my humble opinion.
John.

·
Registered
54 Posts
8 to 9 easily. They are great guns, usually reliable, accurate, and dependable right out of the box. I wish it didn't have the Swartz Safety on it but they didn't ask me when they designed it. I have had no problems with the safety on any of my 3 S&W's.

·
Administrator
1,288 Posts
Yeah, well... you'd better have a pocket full of OD magic dust to sprinkly over all those superflous parts.
Factory pulls, Series 80;

1984 - Govt. MK IV - 4.75lbs
1985 – Officers ACP MK IV – 5.5lbs.
1987 - Govt. MK IV - 5.5lbs.
1988 - Govt. MK IV Ultimate Finish - 4.0lbs.
1988 – Gov’t MK IV – 5.0lbs.
2000 - M1991A1 - 4.75lbs.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Out of all my 1911's and other pistols I came to the concluding that SIG's and Dan Wesson are the tightest frame to slide and barrel fit. I have a few 220 and 2 Sig 1911 and my TTT is tight for sure, my Dan Wesson I have put thru a little over 1000 rounds and it has no-play and may be the most accurate 1911 I own. I shoot Wilson's and Nighthawks every week ( I have some rich friends) I would not trade in any of my pistols for the Wilsons. Hand fitted is a lost art, most use CNC machines and mass produce pistols.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My S&W Gunsite Edition seems to be on a par with my Colt LW Commander XSE and my Kimbers (a couple of which are Custom Shop guns).

The Colt was also the cheapest.

That said, if you have an aversion to MIM parts; go with Colt.

Colt Materials information from a sticky on M1911.org by OD*:

MIM
sear
disconnector
mag catch

CAST
Thumb safety
grip safety

FORGED
slide
receiver
barrel
slide stop

MACHINED from bar stock
hammer
all pins
bbl link
bbl bushing
trigger finger piece
ejector
firing pin
firing pin stop
extractor
plunger tube

Take care,

Rick

·
Administrator
1,288 Posts
Rick, I need to update that list, Colt has went back to a using MIM magazine catches. They may have never stopped using it, Colt is notorious for using up old stock (so was Winchester), my newer Colt's with cast magazine catches may very well have been inventory clean-up.

·
Administrator
1,288 Posts
You're welcome Sir. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I had a colt new xse and plan on having another, loved it. I have also seen a lot of people happy with the s&w scandium, wouldn't mind having one of those also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a colt new xse and plan on having another, loved it. I have also seen a lot of people happy with the s&w scandium, wouldn't mind having one of those also.
I have an SW1911ES sitting on layaway until I have the money to get it out (got a great deal, it's a factory used gun that I got for $800 and of course, it's like new). And now I'm working on how I'm going to bobtail it with a minimal bobtail (see the new Dan Wesson CCO)... Can't wait.

Stoney
{learning gunsmithing is fun... for the mechanically inclined, at least...}

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Brown, Cyllinder & Slide or Wilson. They all make great parts, and it would probably run you around $150. You'd need a trigger group (I'd replace the trigger with one that fit tighter, too), a slide stop, a safety, a FP stop, firing pin (if you use a regular GI firing pin I believe it will negate the effects of the Schwartz safety, like it does on Kimber guns) an ejector (you could have a gunsmith do this, or you could probably just Loctite it in) and a new magazine catch. No big deal, honestly. Also, spend some money on a set of at least six good magazines, Tripp, Wilson, etc.
Good luck!
I'm kinda confused. Could you give more details on what you'd replace and with what, and more importantly why?

Are you saying that the firing pin is MIM?

Why would you replace the ejector? And what do you mean about using locktite instead? And how where/how would you use the locktite.

I'd really like to better understand what you'd change and why, so I can make some intelligent decisions when I get my new SW1911ES... And bear in mind that I'm learning and honing my skills with the 1911 from a gunsmithing perspective, so may need a bit more detail than you might otherwise put in such a note. Thanks, in advance.

Stoney
{can't wait till I can get that ES out of layaway...}

·
Registered
9 Posts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUMP - Never got an answer from Kyle E. Coyote... anyone else want to answer for him? Also looks like I'll be getting that ES out of layaway soon!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See Previous Message for details

·
Registered
11 Posts
Compared to the other mass produced commercial 1911's - Colt, Springfield, Sig, Kimber (Kimber has so many models they don't even know what they have anymore-lol) I would rate the S&W better than all of them. Some of there lower end models and there's not many are better built and of better quality then top models from Colt and Kimber -

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
5 year old thread with 2 years since the last post.... but,

Welcome to the forum... Keep us posted, let us know what you think.

Personally, I never forgave S & W for selling out to the Clinton admin. and have never had the desire to buy one since.....but, to each his own. Tracy

·
Registered
111 Posts
Old thread, but probably needs to be updated. I don't know about a new thread as there are a lot of the older S&W 1911s out there with the mechanical firing pin safety that was based off the grip safety like the old Colt Swartz. Kimber uses a version of the Swartz but S&W used a way different safety and the only thing similar is that it was based off the grip safety, not the trigger as the Series 80 safety is. Anyway people are no doubt seeing the older pistols, like this 2005 Commander size I bought new that year.

In recent years S&W introduced the E Series with a larger external extractor like they had been putting in performance center guns, and there are Performance Center guns based off of those. Have one I bought new in 2014.

Like any 1911 I think you need to really look at one of these before you buy. I would generally say they have been a 7 with some of the performance center pistols going to a 9.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts