1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even know where to start. I'm on the phone tonight with my brother in law who is a lieutenant for a fairly large unnamed law enforcement agency. We get along pretty well and he considers me a gun freak. :biglaugh:

He was telling me how one of his buddies shot himself in the leg with one of those "single action Colts". At first I am thinking of a Single Action Army but then I realize that he is talking about a 1911. I didn't get all the details but I guess the guy was climbing a fence while chasing a suspect and the gun went off.

He sounded surprised that the guy would carry such a "dangerous" gun that can go off so easily. His gun is a Glock and he starts telling me how much harder it is to get a Glock to go off than those hair trigger 1911's. I then proceed to tell him that
A. You have to pull the trigger to get either one to go off.
B. The 1911 has two safeties.

He said "the Glock has a safety, it's on the trigger" :rolleyes:

I am not here to bash Glocks but I am amazed at the marketing because you know it couldn't be the operator's fault that it went off. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
To me, it sounds like an idiot that knows nothing about firearm safety. Never have your finger on the trigger until you are prepared to destroy whatever is in front of the muzzle.
Isn't one of Col. Cooper's 4 rules for gun safety?

·
Registered
65 Posts
A-may-zing! :eek:

It sounds like they need some serious tactics and gun handling training. But then again, I know of one officer (recently retired [thank heaven]) that after twenty years on the job, still had problems operating his revolver in a safe manner. At least he retired without ever having to use his gun to defend anyone during his time on the force. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah, those darn 1911s and their hair triggers, um-hum.

I own a Glock and use it for a garage gun(it's not allowed in the house).

It never ceases to amaze me how most Glock owners have all drank the koolaid. Those guys are a real pain to talk with.
Talk about narrowminded! Too bad that Lt drinks so much...

·
Registered
18 Posts
The equivalent of a kid saying "It broke!", completely denying any complicity.

So, he had to have climbed a fence gripping the gun with the slide safety off and his finger or something in the trigger guard.

Every time someone yells, "It went off", a gun grabber uses it to beat us over the head with some new "safety" feature.

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
Jeff Cooper used to say the putting a safety on the trigger of a gun is like writing the combination on the door to the safe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
...So, he had to have climbed a fence gripping the gun with the slide safety off and his finger or something in the trigger guard...
that's what I thought too.

We have to be thankful to Glock for two things that no-one else was able to do:

1) Selling millions of essentially single action guns against the grain of the anti-gun movement. Whoever characterized Glock as "safe double action" should have a shrine dedicated to his honor. :bravo:

2) Making the Glock-toting masses believe they have a gun equipped with a legitimate safety. :crazy:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yep....can`t take responsibility for stupidity. It`s gotta be those darned unsafe 1911`s.

Yeh right.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Unsafe 1911s??? :hairpull: Is my night stand gun gonna shoot itself in the night? :rofl:: Glad it is pointed away from the bed so I can :sleepy: well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This reminds me of an incident a few years back when a deputy said he dropped his pistol off the night stand and it "went off", shooting him through the left hand. The pistol in question was a Glock, which can't go off without the trigger being depressed due to an internal safety. My guess is, he tried to break down the pistol for cleaning without clearing the chamber and...BOOM!

It seems like the guys who take responsibility for their actions learn to use their firearms safely in the first place. It's the ones who don't consider the consequences or take responsibility for their actions that aren't safe, regardless of the pistol they carry. Maybe they should make a new dept. policy for the guys who have shot themselves; one bullet in their shirt pocket. It seemed to work for Barney Fife.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Maybe they should make a new dept. policy for the guys who have shot themselves; one bullet in their shirt pocket. It seemed to work for Barney Fife.
Now that's just mean, man.

I love it! :rofl:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unsafe

Take it easy on some of us who own and shoot Glocks. I own and shoot 1911's and I am just as tired of hearing how "unsafe" cocked and locked is as I am of the issue of Glocks being unsafe. It all starts between the ears! The unsafe part is the operator, with any firearm. Too bad some of these people are Law Enforcement individuals.:hairpull:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Take it easy on some of us who own and shoot Glocks. I own and shoot 1911's and I am just as tired of hearing how "unsafe" cocked and locked is as I am of the issue of Glocks being unsafe. It all starts between the ears! The unsafe part is the operator, with any firearm. Too bad some of these people are Law Enforcement individuals.:hairpull:
+1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.