1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm half way through my Instructor course. It's been a long, 10 hour day. I even have some homework to do before tomorrow's 10 hour day. But it's fun and interesting. I'm not sure what I will do with this certification, but I had the chance to take the class, it's right here at my home range (Bull'sEye), so I went ahead and did it.

Does anyone else have this, and are you actually teaching classes?

·
Spell-Check at the ready!
141 Posts
I know when I became a Scuba instructor I had to teach the whole 8 (2) hour sessions and 6 (2) hour pool sessions. Here is the kicker-- my students were 2 instructors, 3 Instructor trainers, and 1 course director. They were playing around the whole time. Sucked.

Can you post a few words on how you go about becoming an instructor?

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
I became certified in Handgun some years ago. At the time, I had become friendly with a couple of the people that taught a monthly Basic Handgun class at a range I frequented, and I helped them with the class. Personnel at that range changed, and I moved, so I stopped.

But then early this year I joined a group (http://www.bayprofs.org/) that teaches at a couple of local ranges, and I've been helping with those classes. It's an interesting group. None of us receive any compensation, and we charge just what we need to cover expenses. I've also been helping another local NRA instructor with his personal protection classes; primarily the section on the law. I've also now become certified in three other NRA courses: Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home and Shotgun.

I enjoy teaching shooting. It's a way to help bring people into shooting the right way. For the last several years I also helped teach beginning trap shooting and wingshooting at our club, and I've helped coach our junior trap shooting team.

I've found it to be a very rewarding activity.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just cerified in July. I plan on teaching this course as well as rifle and shotgun sometime in the fall. The way I read the manual, you have to teach two classes a year that total 25 or more people. I will have to do this for each class. I have talked to some friends of mine that took the class with me and they are already teaching. They said it was pretty simple to do and it was all about advertising.

The cool thing about teaching the classes is you can "Team Teach" with another instructor/instructors and you each get credit toward you minimum requirements.

I'll let you know how my first class goes when I get it set up.

·
1911auto Supporters
341 Posts
I'm half way through my Instructor course. It's been a long, 10 hour day. I even have some homework to do before tomorrow's 10 hour day. But it's fun and interesting. I'm not sure what I will do with this certification, but I had the chance to take the class, it's right here at my home range (Bull'sEye), so I went ahead and did it.

Does anyone else have this, and are you actually teaching classes?
If you guys have something like that come up again give me a yell will ya?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.