1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yessir, afraid so!!!! 59 y/o male residing in the Republic of Tejas. Grew up an oil field brat which of course means I've eaten my fair share of :spam; Quit hunting some years ago on an opening morning in Central Tejas when my alarm clock was preceded by the report of an '06 discharge in the bunkhouse (guess that guy missed the lease rules about loaded firearms in the camp?). Man did that rattle some nerves. Four hours later I heard another rifle report and watched a cow drop in her tracks from my stand on an adjacent pipeline right of way. All I could do was walk by the triumphant shooter and comment on his nice neck shot, too bad it was not a deer..... Packed up my stuff and never went back.
Have just recently completed my Texas CHL requirements and am waiting for my paper. Will be needing to make some changes to my old box stock 1911 and hope you hands do not mind letting me pick your brain.

Regards,
Dubster

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dubster!!! Your story sounds like my last time deer hunting with a few newbies in the camp. One guy killed a deer right near me and did not even know how to field dress it, it was not much bigger than a Chihuahua and the 444 Marlin really took it's toll!!! The other guy killed my Stihl chainsaw when he was unloading his rifle on the porch of the cabin!!! Needless to say they were asked to leave and never return!!!:smile:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yessir, afraid so!!!! 59 y/o male residing in the Republic of Tejas. Grew up an oil field brat which of course means I've eaten my fair share of :spam; Quit hunting some years ago on an opening morning in Central Tejas when my alarm clock was preceded by the report of an '06 discharge in the bunkhouse (guess that guy missed the lease rules about loaded firearms in the camp?). Man did that rattle some nerves. Four hours later I heard another rifle report and watched a cow drop in her tracks from my stand on an adjacent pipeline right of way. All I could do was walk by the triumphant shooter and comment on his nice neck shot, too bad it was not a deer..... Packed up my stuff and never went back.
Have just recently completed my Texas CHL requirements and am waiting for my paper. Will be needing to make some changes to my old box stock 1911 and hope you hands do not mind letting me pick your brain.

Regards,
Dubster
Welcome from Indiana.

Puzzling as to what some people are thinking when they head to the woods and fields to hunt, ain't it...

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Welcome Dubster.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Welcome

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Those stories really scare me, too many people in this world were absent the day they gave out brains. I was dove hunting one day some years ago, I piled up in the edge of a drainage canal near some sawgrass, not more than 10 yards from where everyone had parked, and had been there a little while. So, I'm lazy, but the birds were flying just as good there as they were several hundred yards away. Why walk when you don't need too? I had a few birds in my pile, it was a decent day. Well after an hour or so, these two guys pull up in a nice car, get out of the car decked to the nines, I mean the huntin vest with the flank pouches, and the built in pad on the shoulder. You could tell their camo was brand new, it still had the store creases in them. They proceeded to walk right in front of me, carrying their stools, guns, a cooler, and a big bag of ammo. I don't know if they saw me or not, but they were a sight. Well the field we were hunting went on forever, and the back side of it was a cut-down. They went to the edge of the cut-down, and sat down. It wasn't long that the pellets started landing right on me and the vehicles. We're talking 150 yards, so I wasn't terribly worried, until they lined up on a pair of birds not more than 15 feet above my head. I made sure to do all my shooting down in the canal so my head was below grade. Well, over the cut-down were two buzzards circling something. I keep my eyes on them naturally, next thing I see is them stand up, and start shooting straight up, so I look, ain't nothing but the buzzards. To be sure they ain't shooting at them. After about 50 rounds or so it seems, I see a buzzard making the downward spiral. Then down comes the other. I begin laughing, I am thinking that they were bored because there hadn't been any dove near them since they got there. Next thing I know, they are coming across the field with the whole gaggle of stuff, and these two huge, stinkin buzzards. Well, this time they see me, because I am standing near my truck. They say, have you ever seen Dove's this big before? I left...

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Welcome aboard dubster from another Texan.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They say RED NECK like it's a bad thing...? HOW DOO..! from up here on the hill..
:via: Houston TX. across the street from Brown & Root....,Hey.! Sugar Land.!Randy.I work at the Propane filling station next to the brazos river turn-a-round..Go see Sloan @ Fountain FireArms...Haven't been in TX for 15 years......Miss it..

·
Registered
331 Posts
Welcome aboard from a former Texan.

I have no intentions of going back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.