1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about the Talon?

All items I have read look very positive. Looks like these folks started in 2004 after leaving Wilson.

How is the quality compared to others. Their site shows they test every pistol with 75 or so rounds..

Thanks..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nighthawk Custom pistols are built by a dedicated group of craftsmen using top of the line parts that work perfectly together. Follow this up by the best customer service in the industry and you have a winning combination. The Talon is Nighthawk's bread and butter gun. It is everything a 1911 should be with a few cosmetic niceties thrown in to sweeten the deal. Plus Nighthawk is willing to alter the Talon to fit the customer's needs or wants as long as those changes don't compromise the integrity, accuracy, or reliability of the firearm. You really can't go wrong with a Talon! Arkansas is home to some top notch gun makers. Nighthawk Custom, Wilson Combat, and Guncrafter Industries come to mind. Must be something in the water over there :biggrin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..

Would you consider the weapon a "combat pistol" or a pistol that requires TLC to function all the time.. I know that question is sort of wide open and open ended

·
Registered
8 Posts
I consider Nighthawk pistols to be great defensive guns. They are not overly tight like some manufacture's guns and are designed to be ready to go right out of the box (or gun rug). You can build very accurate guns without making them finicky or requiring extra TLC. I use my Talon for IDPA and PPC using only my own reloads and it has proved to be exceedingly reliable and as accurate as my abilities allow. All Nighthawk guns are guaranteed to shoot 1"@25yds and all their models use barrels that must be hand fit by a pistolsmith. No 'drop in' barrels are used. This contributes to the accuracy (and cost) of the gun.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The seem to be fine as long as you stick with a 5" gun there have been a lot of complaints turning up over the less than 5" guns..

But for the cost over a ed brown or a wilson or baer i dont see what they give you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The seem to be fine as long as you stick with a 5" gun there have been a lot of complaints turning up over the less than 5" guns..

But for the cost over a ed brown or a wilson or baer i dont see what they give you
For the same setup - comparing apples to apples - how would you say the prices compare?

What have you heard about the shorter then 5" guns.. I was going to start with a 5" then get the 4.25" next..

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Ping might jump in he had a shorter gun and had problems ..

What i have read is lots of jams and returns from the factory with same stuff happening.

Hate to say go else where but check Assassin's of the other 1911 forums for the complaints

·
Registered
8 Posts
Price wise I believe Wilson guns are more expensive than Nighthawk guns. Les Baer has some nice models under 2K but go up in price as you add options that the Nighthawks and Wilsons have. I am not that familiar with Ed Browns pricing.

Some commander size Nighthawks have had issues with the ejected brass hitting the ejection port and/or the slide in front of the port and chipping off the Permakote. As a whole I would say tha Nighthawk pistols have an excellent track record.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've shot a half dozen 5" Talons. Each went bang everytime, was on the accurate side of the spectrum and finish quality was exceptional. Nighthawk pays particular attention to the aesthetics of their guns and it shows. The slides on each were silky smooth. So much so, I could just stand around and rack the slide indefinitely.
I liked them so much that I became convinced that Nighthawk had hit the motherlode and could do no wrong. A deal on a commander came up and I pounced on it. It was NIB and was just about as perty as a gun can get.
That gun had FTF issues abounding. When it did feed, the ejection pattern was completely random. It went back. It came back doing the same thing. The timing was off, the ejector was not correct, the mag catch wasn't right. I respectfully disagreed with the methods employed to correct the issues. Whatever. After a few trips 'round the tree, we finally came to a satisfactory resolution, so all's well that ends well.

As Geo. says, Nighthawk's customer service is about as warm and fuzzy as it gets. But, also, as Bud says, I'd stay with the Gubmint sized guns.

From a comparison standpoint, I personally think that Wilson's are very overpriced. The one I had failed to impress and I sent it on up the road. Ed Brown builds a very nice gun, but their customer service has a hot and cold reputation. Les Baers are the least "prettied-up" of the four, but for my money, the best choice. Baers and Browns tend to be kind of... one family, where wilson and NH seem similar, at least in terms of feel and balance. Most guys who like Baers, tend not to care for Wilsons. They feel noticably different in the hand and the balance point is different. I suppose much is nothing but personal preference. My guns are tools and just like a hammer, it's only as good as it drives a nail. Pretty doesn't count for much with me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've decided to buy a high end 1911, and haven't made up my mind yet. My local dealer got in a slightly used Talon II Bobtail that had been ordered new by a local guy that goes through expensive firearms like kleenex. He can afford to. Upon examining the Talon, I noticed a series of blemishes on the right side of the slide forward of the chamber cut that looked like someone intentionally hacked at it with a sharp object. Apparently this isn't unusual with the Commander sized pistols. It's some sort of interaction between the ejector and the extractor that skids the empty case tumbling down the slide in a forward direction. It was an expensive package with the options present, but I would hate to spend that kind of money, and add more nicks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No pun intended

I haven't had that much experiance with Nighthawk Custom but from what I have read and hear about them they are great.

one thing that turns me off about them though is that they seem to focus more on cosmetics than anything else.

Maybe it's just me but Nighthawk just seem to have more bells and whistles than other brands... I can get a pistol from Springfield or Wilson that preforms just as well for a fraction of the price. Now, it might not have a serrated slide top, checkered rear or S&A Magwell, but it works and thats what counts.

just my two cents.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have a GRP II Bobtail with a hardchrome slide and the only problem I had was due to my reloads and now it eats them like any other ammo. It is my daily carry pistol and sees a lot of holster time. I will be ordering another GRP Gov. when I can get my funds back up. If you want to order one make sure you contact George with Gunslingers he is great to do business with.

·
Resident Septuagenarian
178 Posts
I like NightHawk so much, I now have four of them.
Bought my first one and it was just what I wanted.....I then got three more...
Each different of course, custom serial number, naked slide, etc.
I see no reason to change brands....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found that NHC offers everything that I wanted in a 1911. I ended up buying a Talon and a Talon II bobtail. I have shot the Talon a lot more than the II. The Kimbers and Colt seem to spend more time in the safe after the Talon got there.

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
I have several Talons, all shorter -- a couple of II, a III and a couple IV. They've all been 100% reliable and very accurate.

·
Resident Septuagenarian
178 Posts
I have several Talons, all shorter -- a couple of II, a III and a couple IV. They've all been 100% reliable and very accurate.
Frank, you have five????

And poor me has only four....:(

Need to give George a call........:biggrin:

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
Pappy,

I think you should. You need to help George feed his family. And while you're at it, why not order two? I haven't bought a Nighthawk in a while, and that would give me an excuse.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Pappy,

While I love him dearly, Frank, you must understand, is THE DEVIL! He is wiley as a fox and as smooth-talking as a Member of Parliament! Hell, I bought all his stock in the Nevada River Bridge Project!

What I think you need to do is effort to wear out the Nighthawks you already have. Then, buy more.

Frank, would tell you; "you'll only otherwise fritter your money away on stupid things like food, clothing and shelter."

He makes good sense, but what else would you expect from... THE DEVIL????:tongue:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts