1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew and occasional shooting buddy is soon to turn 18. His parents aren't "gun people", but the kid is HELLBENT on buying himself a rifle once he is of age.

So here's the question:
He's been talking about going down to the local sporting goods shop the very SECOND he turns 18 to get this gun. Do you think he'll have trouble passing the NICS check on his actual birthday, and might he want to wait a day or two to get the gun? I'm not sure how the whole NICS thing works, which is why I ask. Is it something that updates itself daily/weekly, or will the FBI agent on the doing the check be able to see that it's his birthday and that he has a clean record, and pass him?

Thanks a lot in advance for all the answers. I'll have him check this site for his answer.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Yes, the agent checks the fbi "rap sheet" for problems while the dealer is on the phone. If he has a clean record he should pass right then. People get held up on nics if there's something on their record that does not show the outcome, etc. I had that problem and had to get it straightened out.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
yep thats what it means... or if you have a common name can cause problems to common first and last name that is

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I was picked up in the late 70's in ca with a nightstick and duty gear in my car off duty when I was tad to base shore patrol. In ca it was (probably still is) a felony to have a nightstick or any billy club in your car and my record showed I was picked up for a felony. I spent 3 days in the felony tank then it was dropped to misemeanor when I went to court and got fined, probation, etc. My fbi sheet showed that I was picked up for a felony but not what happened in court, that's what I mean about not showing the outcome or deposition.

I got a "unique pin number" that nics will issue in these instances to give on my background check after I provided proof of the deposition so that I would not get delayed. This past year I got it taken care of, there was a bill passed requiring them to take care of stuff like this, so it does not get delayed and I no longer have to use the upn.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I call in NICS checks at the indoor range/gun shop (work part part time) and some folks get delayed for no good reason. We think sometimes the system is just overloaded, or, the buyer might have a name similar to a bad guy, or, the buyer didn't put his social security number on the 4473 form. I don't think buying a rifle on his birthday would matter as much as the other things I mentioned.

On a side note: our range is in the city and we get all types of customers. I had one guy (gang banger wanna be) get delayed because he didn't know how to spell his middle name. What a loser.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Since my CPL is rather new (12-06), I went thru the whole NICS and fingerprinting process at that time as part of the CPL issuing, and don`t have to go thru that process anymore.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I'm not sure I'm understanding you guys. I also have my carry license but still have to fill out the 4473 and do the NICS check for any gun purchases. Don't your states require the NICS check for every gun purchase even if you have a carry license?

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Here we have to fill out the 4473 and phone it in for the NICS check. The NICS "proceed" number is then written on the 4473 form. Aren't your 4473's phoned in?

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
What USMCMP said.

I waited to get my CCW, then bought my LTW Comm. Walked in, showed my DL & CCW, gave him my credit card and walked out with my gun. Tracy

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
IN arkansas if you have an arkansas chl you use it in lieu of a background check, no calling to nics, I have a florida one though so that will not work for me.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
I don't think NICS picks up on your birthday. I bought a Beretta on my 21st birthday (which was a Saturday) and had no problems.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nope, I walk into the store show my CHL and DL, swipe the CC, fill out the 4473 and walk out the door.
Yep, that`s the way it is here in Michigan, IF your CPL was issued after November 2005.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Lucky I'm in NC------ mine was issued 10/17/05, I would have been SOL! Tracy

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I don't know Rod. Come Aug. we can have silencers, so I can live with the NICS check.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.