1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've been hanging around here for a while and have decided to order a #35 from Bob. But there are two things that I still could not decide. First of all is whether I should go with fixed sight or adjustable sight? I am not sure if I will use it as a carry gun yet because I have my USP compact 45 as my carry piece. I have no experience with adjustable sights and frankly not sure how to use them. So I am asking for suggestions and advices from the members here. Are adjustable sights strictly for target guns? What about for carry guns?

The other thing is the extended mag-well. I thought that is more for a competition gun, but I have seen a few members here put that on their carry guns. Again, any pros and cons? Is that extra length going to be a problem when you are trying to conceal your gun? I don't think I need it but I have seen a black mag-well on a ION DLC black 1911 and it looks really sharp :smile:

Thanks!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi there, and welcome:wavey: I think a fusion is a great choice. As for your question regarding sights, I prefer fixed sights, especially if you are going to carry the gun. There are some adjustable sights that are built "tough" for carry. However, as long as my fixed sights are the right height, and in the right horizontal position (proper windage), I see no reason for adjustable sights. BTW: adjustable sights are usually adjusted by small dials with a screw driver for elevation and windage. This can come in handy for adjusting for different loads. However, I am usually just fine with fixed sights. Plus, I generally think fixed sights look better on the pistol (especially 1911's).

As far as extended magwells, I agree that they look pretty cool, but I don't really see a lot of use for them on a pistol that will not be used for competition. They may speed reloads a bit, but the main advantage in my eyes is that I like the way they look. They do add a tiny bit of weight to your pistol as well, which is something to consider. I had one on my last 1911, and I don't feel like it significantly hindered the concealment of the gun. The Fusion that I ordered does not have one.

I hope that this helped. Good luck with your purchase. Go order a Fusion:biggrin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I 2nd the fixed sights. I have an ajustable combat sight on my 45 and it's pin has shaken out just enough to tair up my left palm while doing fail to fire drills on 2 occations. Its just one more thing that could go wrong on your pistol, and for the distance your shooting how much adjustment do you really need. Just my 2c

·
Registered
83 Posts
For carry purposes, I say fixed.

Target/Range = adjustable
Extended magwell.... No go on carry for me (remember, this is simply my opinion)
I did go w/ Magwell and Ambi safety on my Scout 40, but she is only used for comps, and no personal defense (ie;carry)

Wes

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I'm more of a carry person and I like fixed sights. Probably as close as you can get to both worlds is the novak cut adjustables.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Agree w/ all the above from the fixed only crew. I shoot a lot & still find the fixed sites will out shoot me. Do your part & a fusion w/ fixed sites will do it from that end.
I very seldom shoot at over 15 yds & almost never at over 25.'Target practice is fun & I like looking at other folks 50rd ragged hole at 30 or 50 yds but I invest my ammo & time at contact to 25ft & shoot targets at 15 to 25 yds.
YMMV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congratulations! Please post some pics. I would love to see how the gun look wit the 10-8 sights.

I looked at their website, seems like they have different type of rear sights, which one is yours? I am used to the 3 dot sights system, do you know how is that compare to the 10-8?

·
Registered
747 Posts
ere is a link to some pics. Mine is the second gun (Tactical for Brian).

http://1911auto.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3253

I kind of prefer to have just the one dot on the front sight (especially for a night sight). That way it is easier to pick up the front sight in low light situations. You won't get it confused with the two rear sight dots. Another good system if you prefer the three dot set up, is to have a different color front dot. The 10-8 rear sight is cut to be able to be used to cock or clear the gun which is also a plus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.