1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought myself a TRP this week. Was going to buy a Kimber SIS but after comparing the two realized that there is no comparison, for the $$ the TRP is much, much more gun for the money. Took it to the range and put a flawless 200 rounds of FMJ and 100 rounds of HST thru it, only bad thing is the two piece guide which I replaced with a standard one piece as soon as I got home. The weight of the TRP is comforting as previously I had carried lightweight 1911s and it shot one big hole in the target. The gun is rock solid, no movement of any kind, the thumb safety is perfect as is the beavertail, the Novak night sites are bright and I love the VZ grips. The only bad thing was the guide rod and I cannot understand why anyone would use a two piece system! Mine came loose at approx 100 rounds, it's a liability on a carry gun and if you use one you need to lose it. I wouldn't even trust it if it was loc tited. If your looking for a 1911 in the $1,000 range the TRP is definitely well worth looking at, forget the SIS, compared side to side the SIS looks and feels like a gun a smith without much experienec put together!!

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Congrats ./. where are the pics .. and pitch the guide rod in the garbage get the old GI parts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I lean the other way on the guide rods. I like the FLGR. All of my 1911's have a FLGR (Colts, Springfield's, Wilson Combat's). I've never had any issues with one coming loose (my usual range session is 200 to 300 rounds, but I have had some run to around the 500 round mark).
The only knock I put on my TRP is the 20LPI checkering. A little too much bite, I like 30LPI better, but that's a very small issue.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Guiderods are one of them things kind of like fords or chevys .. i agree the 20 LPI is rough and much prefer 25lpi or even better 30lpi

·
Registered
121 Posts
NO SWC in TRP

Almost forgot, the TRP, or at least my TRP, would make the Pope cuss if you tried to run SWC's in it. I have been told that there is a "special" mag for use with SWC's, but I've never seen one.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Its all in the loading and OAL my uncles TRP runs my SWC's I load just fine with the mags that came with it .. you have to tailor it to your gun

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a shop full of reloading paper weights. Somewhere along the way I lost the time for reloading, maybe in another 10 years when I retire:dancingbananna: I can restart that addiction. For now it's factory or nothing, no offense.
Of course, once I did have 14 misfires in 1 box of Remington ammo:eek::eek:. I sent them back to Remington and they sent me a letter of apology ---- and a $50 check. Defective primers I was told.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Congrats on your new TRP! Springfield puts 20lpi front strap checkering on many of their 1911's, why?, who knows. Mine feeds LSWC's, but guns are individuals in what they like. I did change rear sights to an adj Novak because this is a range gun, punching holes. The OEM rear made the gun hit way to low for bullseye shooting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally I like the agressive checkering but my hands are so calloused that nothing would bother them! Did install a Ed Brown GI rod and plug today and ordered Berryhill's kit to replace the ILS. My Bulman QFDS in mahagony w/shark will be here this week along with two new mag pouches, perfect timing! Other than what I have done, there is nothing else that needs changing on her. I can honestly say that this is the best "out of the box" 1911 that I have bought!

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Did it come with VZ grips or the Grey G-10 grips?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts