1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

new to the forum, with a few questions regarding a custom build

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Mirando Ketner 
#1 ·
Hi Guys!

My name is Doug, and I live in Phoenix, Arizona. When I'm not staying busy with work, I have two daughters under the age of three and a wonderful wife that get my time. I served a four year tour in the Marines in the mid-90s, but got out of pistol shooting after my tour ended. I recently got back into it the last few months, and am looking to build my first 1911 (with the help of a local 1911 smith)

I'm thinking of doing a Fusion Commander forged frame, and a Fusion Commander slide. I prefer this size to the full sized Government 1911, but am concerned about excessive muzzle whip. I'm thinking about a longer barrel (maybe Bar-Sto?) that is either ported, or threaded for an external compensator. With that being said, has anyone shot a ported Commander and care to share your experience in how much (if any) it reduced muzzle whip. What i'm trying to achieve, if possible, is having the smaller sized Commander that shoots as tame as full sized 1911.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions for the forum, and I hope you won't mind entertaining a few things. I will however be diligent about reading all of the threads here, trying to learn as much as I can so that i'm asking creating redundant posts.

Thanks all for any input, and I'm very much looking forward to my project!

Doug

See less See more
#3 ·
Doogy,

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with commander sized 1911's, but I would like to welcome you to the forum. I would also like to let you know that Fusion would be a great choice for the components of your build. Are you set on having your gunsmith build the gun for you? I ask because Bob Serva at Fusion will pretty much build you whatever you want to your own specs. It would probably be cheaper that way too, unless you have a very good relationship w/ your guy. Contact Bob at Fusion and he will answer all of your questions. Good luck, and welcome aboard :wink:

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum Doogy.

I wouldn't worry about excessive muzzle rise from a commander sized 1911. I have a Bobtailed Fusion commander and have no problems hitting a coffee can sized target set against the backstop at the local range fairly rapidly.

#6 ·
From one Arizonan to another, welcome Doug. I am building a longslide .45 with some Fusion parts. You cant beat Fusion's service and the quality of the parts. Great customer service to boot. Send me a PM and I might be able to help on parts and just share thoughts. This will be my 3rd build. Mirando from Casa Grande

#7 ·
If you want to shoot one first,just let me know. You can take a test drive on me. I am sure you will order the next day. :flag:

#12 ·
thanks for the warm welcome guys, I'm really looking forward to this project and learning more from the members. I went ahead and bid and won the Fusion slide off of Gunbroker (from Bob), as it is exactly what i wanted: stainless, forged and Commander sized with Novak cut-outs.

Bob has been good at responding to my emails, and I'm looking forward to hearing more advice from him.

I'm curious, given the choice, which frame would you pick and why: forged carbon steel, or cast stainless steel? I like the forged nature of the former, but don't like the decreased rust resistance; I like the increased rust resistance on the latter, but would prefer forged. hmmm......:thinking:

So......i guess I could say in summary that i'll post pics as I go along, but don't be surprised if i have more questions for the forum :wink:

Thanks much guys!

Doug

#13 ·
If you want to shoot one first,just let me know. You can take a test drive on me. I am sure you will order the next day. :flag:
Mirando,

Thanks for the welcome, and good to see some fellow Arizona folks! :shades:

thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on it! I'm going to be doing a full build up; as much as i'd like to shell out the full amount, I'm going to be patient and do it myself for once. I know my limits and have a good 1911 smith in Phoenix that will hold my hand if i get stuck, so i feel confident going forward.

Doug

#14 ·
Who is your smith? Is it Nelson? He is great smithy, Mirando

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.