1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used Micro yesterday. Took it to the range today. I've never been bothered much by recoil, but I found myself pushing the gun forward when I pulled the trigger do to the recoil. This caused the shots to be low. It also ejects the casings toward me. I was hit in the head by two of them. I have an EMP and have not had any issues with the 9mm. I'm sure I can overcome as I get more familiar with the Micro. My main question is would it be of benefit to get a full size 1911 and shoot it until I am more use to the 45 recoil. If so, what would be a good model in the Springfield line. I like stainless and good sites are a must.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Check the extractor for tension and clocking .. you can also try the Flat Bottom Firing pin stop to change the recoil impulse ..

Since it is used check the recoil springs also .. if you want a fullsize Springer Go with a loaded..they come with Novak Sights and you can get stainless..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the extractor for tension and clocking .. you can also try the Flat Bottom Firing pin stop to change the recoil impulse ..

Since it is used check the recoil springs also .. if you want a fullsize Springer Go with a loaded..they come with Novak Sights and you can get stainless..
Thanks for the info. Where do I go to buy a flat bottom firing pin stop? I'm guessing I can get the recoil spring from Wolf Springs. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Brownells midwayusa has them they are EGW Oversize (yep ya got to fit it ) Flat Bottom Stop ..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm about to order a firing pin stop and was going to get an new extractor as well, then I decided after I reread the response from Bud White that I should probably check the extractor first. My question is " How do you check the extractor for tension?" I know you can do it with a trigger pull guage, but is there any other options? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Extractor Tuning Tips

By Bill Wilson

A well fit extractor is essential to the reliability of any M-1911 pistol. The following guidelines apply to fitting a new extractor, or properly tuning the one you have in your gun.

1. Correct Tension

With the slide taken off the frame and with the barrel removed, slip the rim of a LOADED cartridge under the extractor hook and position it so that the extractor is gripping the case at the center line, as shown in fig 1a and 1b. You should now be able to lightly shake the slide in any direction, without the cartridge falling off. If this test is unsuccessful, you will need to adjust the tension.
For tension adjustment, place aprox. 1/2" of the tip of the extractor into the extractor channel and apply just enough pressure to slightly bend the extractor. Be careful, a little goes a long way! See figure 1c.

Do not put more tension than needed to perform this simple test - too much tension will result in feeding malfunctions whereas too little tension can cause failure to extract and/or erratic ejection.

2. Positioning of the Extractor

The locator pad (the radiused lug behind the extractor groove) determines at what point the bottom of the extractor groove contacts the rim of the cartridge and puts tension on it.
Slide the rim of an EMPTY case under the extractor hook and position the case so that the extractor hook grips it at the center line. Now pull the case downwards approx. .075 - .1000"; there should still be tension, enough to keep the empty case in position even when the slide is lightly shaken. The same test performed with a loaded round should result in the cartridge falling off. This equals roughly to 1-1.5 lbs tension on the case.

If you have correct tension on the case when it is centered on the breechface, as described in (1) above and little to no tension at all, with the case being pulled down approx. .075 - .100", you need to bring the extractor groove closer to the firing pin hole.

This is done by removing a small amount of material at a time, from the locator pad, while maintaining the radius. Constantly check for correct tension, so that you don't take too much material off. See sketch below.

3. Fitting the Firing Pin Stop

The fit of the Firing Pin Stop to the groove at the rear of the extractor is crucial to the correct extractor positioning. If there is a loose fit, then the extractor will move or twist, causing inconsistent ejection.
With the extractor installed, the firing pin stop should slide into position using normal finger pressure. If the firing stop binds (when installing a new extractor), you will have to reducve the width of the firing pin stop, by removing material from its right side, where it contacts the extractor.

Remove only a few thousandths of an inch at a time, while being careful to keep the right side parallel to the left side. When correctly installed, the firing pin stop will fit snugly into place, which prevents the extractor from twisting.

Finally, several extractors sold, come rough and not polished or prepared. The following drawing shows you where you have to tune your extractor hook

Thanks To Bill Wilson

and the dude listed in the last pic.. I borrowed this from another 1911 sight.. Explains it way easier than i can

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I can say is Wow and thanks.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Hope that it helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bud, I've been shooting 1911s of one sort or another for nearly
40 years. However, I never heard much about tuning extractors
until the "clones" started proliferating.

The "Extractor Tuning Tips" article with the graphics
you posted is the best explanation I've ever seen for a
"how-to". It should be made a "Sticky".

Thanks for that.

BTW, I have a Springer Micro Loaded I bought 2 years
ago, and I can't get the thing to jam. It's a fantastic
pistol.

Walter

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Walter ya know i would bet most of that is because back in the day they used SPRING STEEL like JMB called for .. i can cut that post and make it a sticky

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bud, you should do that. I've seen a lot of questions about
extractor tuning on many of the various forums, but I've never
seen an explanation that straight-forward and easily understood.

Walter

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
i cant take any credit for it i just knew where it was posted.. and it is a sticky now in the gunsmithing section

·
Registered
2 Posts
The EGW FPS is right on the money!

I have a LW Micro that I purchased new, the the FPS solved all of my issues. I lightly broke the edge after fitting it to the gun. It slowed the slide perfectly!

Jamie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts