1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading good reviews of the Taurus 1911's in media and on the net. Started thinking about getting one to play with, but hadn't pulled the trigger on the purchase yet :biggrin:

Then Cabelas stepped in to force the issue.....they are running the stainless on sale for $659, then I got a special offer in the mail for $100 off any purchase over $500. How in the heck could I pass up that deal, $559 for a brand new Taurus 1911 in stainless. So after work on Thursday I headed straight to Cabelas, which by the way is got to be one of the worse places around to buy guns.....little knowledge, no help, bad service and a lack of willingness to move any faster than a snail. But hell a 1911 Taurus for $559 makes it worth the effort!!!!!!!!!!

Now up to this point you are thinking this is going to be a another glowing review of the Taurus, don't bet the bank on it. Nothing that follows is anything but disappointment............

The finish looked toy like, hard to explain, it just didn't look right. The safety looked cheap, though worked OK. The hammer has a odd look and shape to it, due to the internal lock inside I suppose. The front strap checking, while clean cut just didn't look good due to the two different styles of checkering on it. The slide to frame fit reminded me of a 80's era Colt, pretty sloppy. More than any Springfield, Kimber or Para that I have seen in the last ten years. The mag well was half flaired, bad cut job on it. Then it went down hill pretty fast......the barrel had up and down movement in the hood area. The muzzle end was even worse, not only did the barrel move inside the bushing but the bushing moved inside the slide. Not a little bit but a lot of movement. The worse thing about the pistol had to be the sight installation. The front sight had a huge gap under the front leg, at least 2 mm of light. The rear sight dovetail cut looked like it was cut for a sight twice as big the one fitted. Disappointment would be a understatement for sure, even if the counter guy had offered the gun to me for $300 I would have turned it down.

Now I know this is just a sample of one, but with this many things wrong would the other six in the back room been in any better shape???? And yes I am a Taurus fan and have owned Taurus handguns in the past and have always been very pleased with them. This one should NEVER have left the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
ACK! Thought for a minute you'd bought it, I was wondering what/whom had possessed you.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Sounds like a Fine Piece i Can't Believe you didn't Buy it

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a SS pt1911 and really like it. Everything was tight when I bought it in Feb. Still no problems after 1000+ rounds. I will say that there QC needs to be upgraded, and made better. You were right and not getting it, I would not have bought in that shape.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Seen several down here & nothing like that. All have been excellent quality for the price.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have seen a few come through the store that are seriously lacking in quality control, but the majority of them are quite nice and seem to be a good route to get a few more options for the money spent.

·
Banned
2 Posts
So, you go to a place you scorn so you can save $100 on an auto pistol? And you look at the first one, say it is a piece of crap, realize there are six more in the back room and you don't check them out?
I don't buy it.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
You don't have to buy it.

I know Gunner personally, and know him to be stand-up guy, you better think carefully before you call someone you don't know from Adam a liar.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
I can't see this thread improving in the future. Locked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.