1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new 9mm loaded yesterday and have a couple of questions. It came with the adjustable sights, but I would like to change the front sight to one that is easier to see. Are the ones available on the loaded coupon better? What would you guys recommend? I saw the thread on the new TRP and the comments on the two piece recoil rod. Is one available for the 9mm? If so, would the disassembly procedures become the same as the GI? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
paint the front sight with something like nail polish in a bright color ...

yes you should be able to change out the FLGR to a std GI type

Comngrats i have been looking for a springer 9mm for quite awhile

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bud, thanks for the quick reply, but can you give me a little more direction as to exactly what I'm looking for. I've looked at a couple of places for parts and they don't exactly spell out any thing for the GI. I appreciate your help, as I'm sure you can tell, I'm very new to the 1911 platform. I want to learn a lot more. It's good to have boards like this one and folks like you that are willing to share experience and knowledge. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
sure ill like them give me 5 mins

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bud. I'll give them a call this week. So I'm inferring that parts for a 1911 Government model should fit. Does the current recoil spring still work? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
yes it should ..most parts should fit except barrel bushing unless they use a heavy barrel .. extractor and ejector and the slide since breech face is small.. and the slide sto will be a 9mm part also

·
Registered
121 Posts
Caseman

I have the 9mm Springfield also, I guess it's the same as yours. Personally I like the FLGR, but the gun will run fine with the GI part. The FLGR is just one of the "loaded" upgrades.
My Springfield does not like light or target loads (such as WWB 115 FMJ). It shoots them very well, very accurate and low recoil, but only about 50% of the time will they lock the slide back. I have ordered a 10lb recoil spring to see if that will help (factory is 12lb).
I have tried some WWB 147 JHP, and those worked perfectly. No issues with slide lock and shot to same point of aim. I would stay away from Georgia Arms 9mm, nothing but trouble for my Springfield. It may be worth saying that in 45ACP I have nothing but good things to say about Georgia Arms, that's what I shoot in competition.
The Mec Gar mags seem to work better (also at www.midwayusa.com) than the factory mags, but they aren't drilled for basepads. Wilson Combat tells me they are working on a 10 round mag, that will bring joy to IDPA shooters. With time and practice you can get very fast with follow up shots using that 9mm.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Try also a light Mainspring housing if yours has the ILS it has a 28# main spring which is way to heavy and can cause lock back problems also

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I took it to the range and it shot like clockwork. No issues at all. Ran some Winchester Whites and Blazer Brass through it. I still think I'm going to the one piece recoil rod. It looks like it would make disassembly easier. Don't think I'll get a chance to shoot again until midweek, but it's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Caseman, the one peice guide rod Bud posted will work or the Wilson Combat FLGR we sell located here: http://www.shootersplus.com/inc/sdetail/1632 will work with your Loaded 9mm. If your Loaded is running fine then I would just swap out your current recoil spring to the new FLGR.

Zack
Shooters Plus

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Front Sight

I'm like you Caseman, I wanted an easier to see front sight. I do my shooting on my own range (okay a clearing I made in the woods:biggrin:) and sometimes with the shadows it is hard to pick up the sights as fast as I want to. Anyway, I've sent my Springfield to Wilson Combat for a makeover:nuts:.
One of the things I'm have done to the pistol is change out the front sight for a fiber optic sight.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took Bud's advice and painted the front sight with some white nail polish. Felt a little odd when I bought it. I made it a lot better. If you have any pics of yours with the new sights, I'd like to see them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My pistol is now one week into a 5-6 week surgery at Wilson Combat. I guess that puts its return in mid March, unless I call and tell them to add to my laundry list:biggrin:. Pictures are doable, posting:thinking: well that may require help from my computer savy daughter:biglaugh:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts