1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was shooting well with the stock GI sights, until I had to shoot farther ranges, especially at my indoor range where lighting isn't perfect. I would loose the front sight picture. I shopped the web, asked around here and finally went with some Kings Gun Works (also being local helped in the decision) Tappan Sights.

Removing the old sights were not tough, I just used a bench vice with high density rubber pad inserts to protect the slide, punched the front and rear with a few blows.

Installing the rear took a little finish sanding using 300 wet for a snug fit, I took it down a few thou. I also used a trick I use for installing bearings into motorcycle engine cases. I froze the sight and heated the slide with a heat gun. I used a brass rod as a punch and with many blows it was seated tighter than tight.

The front is narrow tenon with a spec from Kings at .058, it measures .062. The GI sight is .060. I clamped a jewelers file in the vise and gently took a little metal off, started it barely by hand, my work bench has an aluminum top so I flipped it upside down and drove it in with a dead blow hammer hitting the bottom of the slide, then I used the Kings staking tool to finish seating. A Dremel with a cone debur smoothed out the inside.

I should have took pics of the process but didnt think about it till now.

Finished product and damn it shoots so much better. I can see the front sight 50 yards out at an indoor range.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Looks good I am going to change out my sights on my GI in 38 super eventually

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Very nice!!!!!:smile::smile:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Those look really good. I too need to change the sights on my GI 38 Super. Is Kings still open? My smith couldn`t get a sight set from them for one of my other 1911`s....the sights were backordered indefinately.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
yes Kings is open .. Im thinking on ordering a Thumb safety from them .. Brownells carries some of the Kings stuff

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kings brick and mortar shop will be closing. They will still sell parts online. I was told the doors will close in a few months. They have been in the same shop for 50 years, its time for retirement.

If anyone needs something from Kings I can pick it up and send it to you.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
thanks for that, Synergy

I want to change sights on my 38super

I'm leaning toward adjustable for it

did you use dry ice to freeze the sights?

also, did you use any "glue" like loc-tite or such when staking the front post?

..L.T.A.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts