1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to 1911 and just got a PT1911. i am wanting to put a different set of sights on mine. the only problem is that i have no idea of the type bomar, novak ect that i need. is there any difference in the cut or is it the same on all 1911s? im wanting a 3-dot sight instead of the straight 8 that it came with. any help will be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Whats wrong with the Straight 8 that came on it ? 3 Dot are ok what ever you choose it has to be for the Henie Cut

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try the straight 8 for a couple hundred rounds and then see if you still want to change. I have and had 3 dot setups on a number of firearms and was very used to them. The straight 8 seemed forgien to me at first, now I wouldn't trade, sure like them, fast and accurate. And these old eyes are pushing 70.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Try the straight 8 for a couple hundred rounds and then see if you still want to change. I have and had 3 dot setups on a number of firearms and was very used to them. The straight 8 seemed forgien to me at first, now I wouldn't trade, sure like them, fast and accurate. And these old eyes are pushing 70.
Good advice here, sometimes using something a few hundred rounds they will grow on you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I found the straight 8's a bit weird at first too. What I did, as I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with them, was to get close to the target, then work my way backwards. I found the right place to point them, and now can shoot it very accurately.
With these sights, I find myself having to aim higher than I would think, but like I said, now that I know where to aim, it is great!

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Excellent accuracy drill. That is the way I start new shooters, start myself w/ a new or never shot gun.
If I catch myself getting sloppy w/ fundamentals I go back to it also.
You did well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really like the Trijicon Tritium rear sight, but after looking at the bottom photo I think I would have to find a set with a trigicon tritium front site as well. I have had a lot of handguns with "night sites" on them and I have always been a big fan of them on a carry piece.
Good luck with your new install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts