1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my slide back from John Harrison in Kennesaw, GA, where he installed a new HD-001 and gold bead sight system. I've been wanting to offload my adjustable razor blades for a long time and John has invented the perfect replacement for the Bomar style sight. John set up the rear to the exact location of my adjustables so POA will be identical. He left the former night sight blade and installed the bead instead. I couldn't be more pleased.

What're fiber optics? Gold beads pick every bit was much light and don't break, fall out, or oxidize. Even in a dark room looking outside into daylight, I get a nice image of the bead.

The HD-001 has a massive notch, so it will be fast and have plenty of daylight between the rear blades.

I can't wait to get it to the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Cant wait to hear how it shoots i have a colt i would like to use that rear sight on ..

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It goes to the range for a fact finding mission tomorrow, Bud. I'll post my impressions.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I love the gold bead idea on a carry gun, but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. Looks great Ping.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
I've been intrigued as well, but can't make myself get something other than tritium. I know in a "no light" situation, you prob won't shoot unless 100% sure it's a BG and not one of the kids sneaking in trying not to wake me and doesn't say anything. But in "very low light" where I KNOW it's a BG, I want as much of a front sight as I can get and I haven't had the oportunuity to try a Gold bead. Tracy

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me too and am seriously considering it for my build. What kind of gold do they use? 14K? 24K?

Wasn't it Elmer Keith that put gold beads on his revolver sight?
John used 14k on mine. It wears much harder than either 18, or 24k. 24k especially, is far too soft and can be creased with a thumbnail. The nice thing also, is that if it ever gets dulled, or marred, a simple pass with a jewelers cloth brings it back to new.

Another thing I like about this one is that it's FAT. Much larger than the lamp that was in it and larger even than a lamp with a white surround.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, went to the range today and, guess what?

Stunning! John really nailed the POA of my former sight and the gold bead is a revelation! After only one mag, I was keeping hits on idex cards at 25yds. The notch is HUGE and there is a lot of light between the front blade and the rear notch, but it went where I pointed it. I am VERY VERY pleased!

I may just have all my guns done this way.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Sounds like a excellent mod.. I always liked a gold bead on a shotgun

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
I just may have to think about doing that to some of my guns.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
That turned out really nice, Don.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, brother. I think Ima have to wait on the lanyard RING and hunchback MSH though.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks nice.... is it expensive?
I don't think so. At least not once you see it and understand the labor involved in it. The sight itself costs $85. It has two pieces to it. One goes into the dove tail and the other is the sight itself. the sight is attached to the dovetail by two screws, red loctited into place. There is a set screw behind that. The notch is cut to .135. It starts life as a .130 cut and is then hand cut to .135. Most outfits offer .140 because it's a simpler, one pass operation. The sight is well rounded and deburred. The serrations are consistent and perfect. I like it more everytime I look through it, but that's not saying much. As an example, I shot a friends gun yesterday; about 70rds. Only when I went to wipe it down, did I notice that it had tritium lamps in the rear. Ha! At least I know I'm looking at the front sight.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts