1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up last weekend for 475.00 and I think it's going to be a range gun that I want to trick out a little. My question to those in the know is, what should I be looking at doing to this gun aside from some real sights? Also what company makes the best fitting parts, or am I fooling myself thinking I won't have to do much fitting. I'm fairly capable with tools but I'm no gunsmith. I would also like to find some good 1911 gunsmithing DVD's to learn as much as I can.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Everything will have to have some fitting ..What mods do you want what i want you might not..

Get the Jerry K Manuals not sure on DVD's I don't have any for the 1911

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically I want to really learn the 1911 and use this GI as my canvas. I thought about getting a RIA for this but I really don't have that much more in this Springer and it's stainless. I think an ambi safety and extended Beaver tail would be a nice start.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Well you can go drop in on beaver tail it will still take fitting S&A makes a .220 Radius which you will need for springfield or you can go with a ed brown , wilson , Fusion that you will have to grind the frame for ..

Ambi safety will need to be fitted no matter what but they are not hard..

you have to change the hammer to go with a beaver tail

Reactions: sigmanx

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Shoot it, shoot it and shoot it some more. Then you'll know what you need, or don't. :wink:

Reactions: sigmanx

·
Registered
12 Posts
As an alternative to the beavertail you could “bob” the hammer. This will shorten it just enough to eliminate “hammer bite” (this is the problem that was fixed with the beavertail) but I would recommend shooting a couple hundred rounds first to see if it is even needed. Whether or not you get hammer bite, and how bad it is, depends on you hand size and how you grip the pistol.

Aside from that, for me anyway, the sights are a must along with an extended thumb safety. I would also look at a fitted barrel bushing it is not accurate enough out of the box.

Personally, that’s about all I would do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the G.I. to the range this weekend and put a hundred rounds or so on some steel plate. What a nice shooter for a bone stock gun, I really enjoyed shooting it. I had no problems at all with it, no FTF's or Stovepipes, not even hammer bite. I will be keeping this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you get your beaver tail from Smith Alexander they give you the .220 filing jig free. Others charge for it.:thinking:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah, I have a stainless GI too. What has always amazed me is this pistol has always fed whatever combo bullet style and weight I have used in it. I always hear people say, my pistol won't reliably feed HP's, or truncated cones, or SWC's. The only thing mine has ever balked at is when I put in a 3rd party .400 Cor-Bon barrel. Had it fitted in by a real gunsmith, but could not get through one mag without a misfeed. But never a problem with any kind of .45 bullet I cared to get a deal on.

Reactions: Ratfink

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just put some Hi-Viz sights on my new Taurus. Think I like them a lot better than the standard 1911 post and notch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts