1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's been the experience with the new 8 rd. mags from Wilson? There was some hype about them a while back.
I have a feeling it's been covered, but I hit search and couldn't find it.
As I recall, the big thing about them was to be reliability and that they were designed, from the ground up to be 8 rounders.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
ya know there was a lot of hype but i really ahvent read much other wise unless i missed it .. i havent tried them as my 47's keep chugging along

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a funny deal, Bud. I was kind of out of the loop for a while. Sort of figured that they must have been covered while I was gone. I look at another site, now and then, but I don't pay any attention to ANY 1911 info unless it comes from here.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
i havent really seen a whole lot about them anywhere

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I never did understand why they wanted to reinvent the wheel.
47s & 47Ds aint broke & dont need fixin.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My impression was that they were going to market it, or maybe infer, that these new 8's would be as reliable as a 7..............something like that.

I've got 47"s and they work great - 7 or 8. A lot of times I'll put a 7 rd. mag in the gun I'm carrying, but that's just kind of a precaution thing that I do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I bought my Kimber a couple of months ago, I also bought several different magazines (Wilson, Tripp, Checkmate, etc) to try them out. I've had a couple of FTF with the new Elite Tactical but no problems with the others (all 8-rounders), but could be a coincidence.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The main goal with the new ETM Wilson mag is it was designed ground up to be a 8 round mag.........with the 47's loaded with 8 round when used in a tight 1911 the top would not feed 100 percent. Happened with one of my Baers, until I got a few hundred round thru it.

I bought one of the ETM's, it has worked great so far, easier to load 8 and feed the first round in the Baers. Though in the end I don't know if the extra cost is worth it or not, figure to buy a few more in the near furture.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the idea behind the ETMs is to get more in line with the real gold standard - Cobramags. In my experience, 47Ds are the best mags for the money. Having said that, the 47Ds have two major weak points - their springs wear out sooner than they should (affecting feeding reliability towards the end of the useful life of the mag) and the follower skirt is a little too short which sometimes causes it to sneak out of the tube a little too far. ETM mags solve these two problems.

Actually, for an extra couple of dollars you can get the Cobra mag which is equipped with the hybrid plastic/metal follower which doesn't wear out as fast the Wilson all-plastic follower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had a problem with a new Wilson ETM mag--weak spring. Contacted Wilson customer service. They said send it back and they will replace it.
Cost $1.97 for shipping.:frown:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had 100% reliabilty from my Wilson 47d's, CMC power mags and the DW(checkmate) mags my DW Cbob came with. If I buy more mags they will no doubt be more CMC power Mags, for no other reason other than they can be had on sale for less than $20. I recently bought a few from Midway for $15 each. They are actually the welded bottom style mag that is not labeled a power mag, but use the same spring, metal follower and tube assembly. They fit flush for carry or you can attach the supplied pad is you want one.

I've heard good things about Tripp Cobra Mags, but IMHO they are way too expensive to consider if less expensive mags work 100% in your gun. I've always felt that if you need a special brand of mag for your gun to be reliable you have a problem with the GUN, not your mag choice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
that the only thing that i do not like about the wilson mags.,,i use the n47d,for so long that i have some that have been chugging along since the mid 80s.time frame when i got them..
i want to try the new etm mags with the new number bottoms on them
has anyone tried them yet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.