1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first 1911 today. Taurus PT1911 with Heine sights for $540 out the door. I guess I am now a real handgunner since I have a 1911. LOL If anyone has any suggestions for magazines and ammo please let know.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
I personally love Wilson Mags they are self lubing and have use them for years without any problems. Shooter plus carries them and gives member a discount on anything you buy there. A 1911 is a pistol I have staked my life on for over 40 years now.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Taurus has done a good job making a dependable 1911 ofr a good price. I second what Vic said and I have read of a few pt1911's breaking their extractors. Not by any means all of them but it would not hurt to have a quality extractor on hand.

Oh, I almost forgot. Post some pic's.:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I will post some pics when I pick it up on Friday. I will look into the Wilson mags. I like to have a lot of mags!

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
I have at the least of 8 mags for every pistol I own. I usually load them with one round less then max. Yet I avg. about almost a case of .45's every month of shooting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just got my first 1911 today. Taurus PT1911 with Heine sights for $540 out the door. I guess I am now a real handgunner since I have a 1911. LOL If anyone has any suggestions for magazines and ammo please let know.

I had one in my hands a few weeks ago and almost bought it...wish I had. You have yourself a nice pistol there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked up my PT1911 today. I shot 50 rounds of crappy reload thru it and not one hiccup. It seems to shoot a little low but I can deal with that. I was very impressed with the out of the box accuracy. I shot ten 5 rd. groups at ten yards. My best group was just under 2 inches with 3 out 5 touching each other. The average for me was probably about 3 -3 1/2.

My only complaint is that after I got home and broke it down to clean it I noticed that from the factory it was fairly dirty and the finish is very thin. I gave it a very good cleaning. I will say that the 1911 is a little tougher to break down and clean when compared to my XD-40.

My overall first impression is very good. Once I finish breaking it in I am going to look for a gunsmith and have it Duracoated. I think that with that I will be totally happy. This is my first 1911 and I love the way it shoots. The recoil is much smoother that I expected. I could see myself making this my primary weapon very easily. As I shoot more I will keep you updated as to how it performs.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
My only complaint is that after I got home and broke it down to clean it I noticed that from the factory it was fairly dirty and the finish is very thin. I gave it a very good cleaning.
Most new pistols do not get cleaned after being test-fired. Besides saving them a liitle bit of time and cost,there's always those who will no doubt complain that "part X" was scratched or ruined when they cleaned it,and they should just let us clean it ourselves!

But,when I buy a pistol (new or used) I always take it apart and clean it anyway. Basically,I'm the only one who gets it done the way I want it done! :smile:

And yes,the finish is pretty thin on the PT1911. I guess Taurus had to cut corners somewhere but for the price I can deal with it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I said, cleaning issue aside I still think this is a GREAT buy. I also agree that no one will clean my guns the way I want it cleaned. As far as the finish goes after 400-500 rds I will send it off to have Duracoated. I am now an official 1911 guy. I still love my XD but the 1911 is definately winning me over and Taurus has done an excellent job of producing a quality 1911 with a lot of features for a bargain price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont know if you have used simple green I have ben using it and it even gets the trigger a little slicker. No grit in the takeup of the trigger. My buddy has a pt1911 and I have shot it some and it shoots good. Taurus makes good low cost guns I have a pt99 and a raging bull 44mag other than some tool marks I have never had a problem with them.:gun1:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats on your new 1911! Just like I tell my friends after I convert them to 1911's..."welcome to manhood". As for mags I have to say wilson mags have never failed me yet. I've used winchester white box for a long time for range ammo before I started reloading. Its pretty cheap and works well. I used to use CCI blazer but I found the quality to be too poor. I use winchester ranger T for personal defense. Don't forget to give us a range report when you get a chance.
:bazooka:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pt1911

I was not a fan at all of 1911's until I got mt PT 1911, having carried a 1911 as a Combat MP in Germany for 3 years. It was so loose and sloppy (and old!) that I couldn't hit anything with it. Then, thanks to kansas45, I got the PT1911. Very, very accurate and totally reliable. Have since got an RIA 1911 38 Super which I really like, it too being super accurate and reliable after my gunsmith did a little magic to it. There will be more 1911's in my future!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put another 150 rds. thru it today. I am quickly falling in love with this gun. As I stated previously, the recoil is smoother than my XD-40 and it is very accurate. I used the cheap and dirty range ammo with no problems at all. Taurus has done an outstanding job of providing a full featured 1911 for a great price. The area I really want to see is how it holds up over time. I want to see how "loose" it gets after I put a 1000 rds. thru it. So far I am more than impressed.

On a side note....I am usually the type thats wants something right out of the box with no mods but I do plan on a couple things for my PT1911. I am ordering new cocobolo grips and I plan to have the gun Duracoated.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
A .45 is less snappy then any .40 cal. I would like a full range report on that pistol because for the price how can one go wrong. It has all the bells and whistles

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far the only two things I can complain about with regards to the PT1911 are:

1. It does shoot a little low. My groups are dead centered just 2 inches low and I have let two other people fire it with same results. Not a big deal for me and I need to finish breaking it in.

2. The finish is very thin. I am already looking around for someone to Duracoat it for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Overall I LOVE this gun! I have put 200 rds thru it with the factory mags and haven't had a single hiccup. As an intro to the 1911 world or for someone on a budget this is the best bang for the buck. This gun has a lot of "high end" features and the price is incredible.

I also have come to realize that the aftermarket stuff available for the 1911 is staggering! I have ordered new grips (rosewood) and if a part should ever fail I know I won't a problem finding a replacement.

As I put more rounds thru it I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I gotta' confess:frown: I had a PT1911 that I enjoyed very much. 8000 + rounds in a year & absolutely no problems. Well...................I sold it. I like the 70 model 1911's just a little bit better. Don't worry, it went to a good home & is very happy there. It was even a deciding factor to get ponca guy to buy a 1911.With him being a 1911 hater (something about being a MP in the Army & being forced to carry one or somethin') say's a lot for the Taurus PT1911. I'm sure that I'll get another PT myself before too long. I do miss my old one, but at least I get to visit it every once in while.:wink: :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts