1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a DW Pointman Seven but have never seen one in this configuration. Possibly you guys can shed some light. Serial number is YG4-PT0089 so it must be an early gun; blued, roundtop slide, serrations front and back both, Bomar type rear sight.

It has a forged frame not cast.
It has a stainless external extractor.
The serial number prefix is "PT" which would indicate a Patriot not a Pointman.

I have also seen Patriots with the "YG" prefix, anyone know the significance of that? Mine also has "YG4" stamped on the frame under the grip panel.

Would appreciate any info. The gun is flawless!

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dean!

You do not have a Pointman 7. No Pointman 7 ever had a PT in the serial number that I'm aware of (could be wrong though),plus the Patriots were the only model with the external extractor except for some Experimental Pointman/Patriot hybrids. But most of those had EXP in the serial number somewhere...

Seems you have a rarity. Contacting Keith at DW directly will probably get you all the answers you need, plus he's here on the forum now and then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are some pics. It had a stainless slide latch lever and mag release and someone had swapped out the safety lever for a cheapo part when I acquired it. I prefer all blue so I installed an Ed Brown slide latch and 1/16" extended mag latch, an Ed Brown bar stock hammer, Wilson Combat 30 lpi msh, and the Hogue finely checkered rosewood grips. I replaced the safety with a McCormick which is my favorite.

Really a nice 1911 but I have the flu and haven't gotten to the range yet.

Some pics:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Not like I'm an expert, but that's got me stumped. I guess you've got an early model that was an experimental model before they had the EXP label.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone know what that "YG4" stands for? It is also steel stamped on the frame under the grip panel. I saw a Patriot for sale on another board and the serial number prefix was "YG4-xxxx".

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Years ago I heard it meant "young guns". I don't know why, just heard that. I to would be interested to know.

Snag

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Well apparently I don't know s#@&. And the lesson here is, don't believe everything you read on the internet. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
You got me on it Vic.

would guess the grip safety is a Chip mcCormick. It looks like a high rise like the ed brown but does not look like a brown. Looks like a mccormick.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
The grip saftey is Ed Browns
No, ed browns has memory grooves and that one does not.

Chip mccormicks fits exactly like browns, you can use browns jig, but it does not have the memory grooves and is mim.

check out my lw oacp and the first pic with a beavertail cut in is with a chip mccormick. Thought I could save some money. The following shots are with a brown because the whole @#$S% arm broke off the mccormick before I even shot it. Amazing.

http://1911auto.org/forum/showthread.php?t=887

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
On the box it claims to have a Ed Brown Beaver Tail?
The Commander Classic Bobtail is a 4.25” series 70 style, commander sized 1911 featuring a stainless steel frame and forged stainless steel slide. Like all Dan Wesson 1911s, Commander models incorporate top quality parts from the best names in the industry.

· Round top slide with fixed 3 dot tritium night sights
· Forged, one piece match grade barrel and bushing.
· Ed Brown Bobtail mainspring housing
· 20 LPI checkered front strap
· Hand polished flat surfaces with contrasting bead blasted rounds
· Beveled magwell
· All sharp edges dehorned by hand
· Lowered and flared ejection port
· Ed Brown memory groove grip safety
· Ed Brown slide stop
· Tactical, extended thumb safety
· Commander style match hammer
· Match grade sear
· Aluminum trigger with stainless bow
· Extended serrated magazine catch
· Wolff springs used exclusively
· Diamond checkered coco-bolo grips
· Tuned, machined, internal extractor
· Test fired for reliability
· 34 ounces unloaded

Vic

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
That's the new model Commander Bobtails. They definitely use an EB grip safety. Older models like this YG4 and a PM-1 that I have came with what appears to be a CMC grip safety.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Like Zero said that list is your gun a cz and has nothing to do with the pre cz models. Pre cz models were also going for about 500.00 new and went up after the parts change. I read somewhere the pre cz's used a lot of cmc and nowlin parts.

DW also changed to 25 lpi checkering.even thoughj the say

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Mine is new and not broken in yet , I put around 300 rounds thru her so far. I did not know your's was a older one Jerry. I think CZ doesn't handle D/W just own them.
I love the pistol but a strange mainspring on that Bobtail, It looks like a Officers one!
I even call D/W and spoke to a Rep.On the new ones paper work it claims to use Ed. Brown. Same as my pointman.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Mine is not an older one Vic, I don't even have 300 rounds through it just about a box, we are talking about DeanD's gun that he posted pictures of and it's an older one. The gun I referred to about me putting the cmc grip safety is a colt officers not a dan wesson vic. I also put a bobtail msh in it. All bobtail msh's are based on an officers msh with an officers spring. Thats why you have to drill a new pin hole.

My cbob is just like yours except I put a new trigger in it.

Lots of things changed after cz bought dw, warranty parts list etc. The new ones absolutely use an ed brown grip safety, the pre cz ones did not. Lots of parts are different.

Here is my cbob vic.

This is my still not finished but very shootable colt lwoacp I am making into my favorite carry gun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.