1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All Might have a line on a Hi power what should i look for in a used gun ? other than the std bubba gunsmithing

·
Registered
160 Posts
Everybody has an opinion which era/country of mfg/type/marking/etc is "best", but really- they're all good. There isnt a "bad" variation that I know of.

Of course, it makes a difference if you are buying it to use or to put in a safe.
Some can't live without an "all Belgian" gun, and that's what I'd prefer to loack away. But I think the "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal" guns are just fine.

Later guns, starting around 1990 or 91 have cast frames rather than forged. Ordinarily, that would be a negative but in the case of the HiPower the cast frames are made of harder steel so might be better for a gun that will be a shooter.
Cast frames are identified by fore and aft serrations around the magazine well.
Forged on top; cast below:

Current guns are known as Mark IIIs, or MKIIIs. They have the cast frame, ambi safety levers, and higher profile sights than earlier guns. They appeared about 1988, give or take a year.

The MKIIs had forged frames, ambi safety levers, high profile sights, and most had a low narrow rib on the slide but I don't know if they all had that. They came out in the mid-80's, I think.

What is now called the MkI by some, is the classic HiPower with single sided small safety, small sights, etc.

Adjustable sights. They've used a few different types over the years, and most aren't very good. I wouldn't pay any more for them...at least on a shooter.

Trigger. It seems like the most common HiPower complaint is a heavy, or stiff, or rough trigger pull. I think they vary a lot from gun to gun, and some come with fairly decent triggers. I had the chance to buy a HiPower from a selection of them, I'd go through them checking triggers and pick the best one.
The trigger reset will be longer than on a 1911, so don't be too surprised if you have to make your finger go back farther after being used to a 1911. It can be helped with gunsmithing, but that's down the road.

There is more, of course, but that's a start.

·
Registered
31 Posts
how about FEG manufactured HP?
Mine is CD Hi-Power, Which made with entirly FEG made parts, assembled my Magnum Research Inc.
I'd like to know if frame is cast or not(although, likely its cast).

what ever the process - Forged or Cast, at very least there are no MIM parts in my gun.

Can't beat that for $319

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any sites have serial # list?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i saw that barry but according to it the HP i bought hasnt ever been made.. lol

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok here are some Crappy pics ill try to get some better ones Monday

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Nice Bud.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very nice, I've been keeping an eye out for a Browning Practical in 9mm at a decent price, but keep missing the deals it seems.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got out and Shot it today will post pic of target later if i can .. i have managed to twist wrong or something and my back is screaming i can barely walk so pics might be out

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shot the HP again it groups well for them tiny little sights

1 - 14 of 14 Posts