1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Being a curio and relic, I have made no permanent modifications.
It's a Yugo SKS 59/66 with a TAPCO T-6 stock and gas tube, complete with enough U.S. made parts to make it 922r compliant, including a muzzle brake that looks just like the stock grenade launcher. The mag is a TAPCO 20rd. I used a Scout Scope Mount for the Barska AR15 Electroscope sight. Also had a Kivarii trigger job.
Shoots and handles very nicely.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Very cool! Illegal mods for my state, but all the more cool for it :)

soviet block weapons are still a great bargain

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Cool! My SKS is long gone,but that's a pretty good setup.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Even if it is 922r compliant, it would still be illegal in your state?
Is it the magazine issue?
I have a printout of the laws governing what is allowed in NJ with respect to semi-automatic rifles. SKS is legal, but it becomes illegal when you do either of the following:
1) install a pistol grip
2) modify it to accept a detachable magazine (even if it's within NJ state's 15 round limit)
3) posess the grenade launcher and a bayonet at the same time.

Yours got two of the above (1 and 2) plus an over-capacity mag.

At least that's the written law, I don't know how much it's enforced. If you do get in trouble in NJ with respect to guns they do throw the book at you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you like the Barska sight? How is it in bright sunlight?
Fortunately it has several brightness settings, so I can adjust it. I do like the sight, I just wish the illuminated rectile was a bit smaller MOA, but it's okay. I like it.

At least that's the written law, I don't know how much it's enforced. If you do get in trouble in NJ with respect to guns they do throw the book at you.
So NJ law picks up where the federal laws ends? That's what I was asking.
All the issues you mentioned do indeed nullify the C&R status of the SKS, but from the federal standpoint you can exchange enough of the foreign parts with U.S. made so that it becomes a legally "U.S. manufactured" weapon, like an AR15. But you made not be able to do it from a state level....right?

·
Registered
122 Posts
So NJ law picks up where the federal laws ends? That's what I was asking.
All the issues you mentioned do indeed nullify the C&R status of the SKS, but from the federal standpoint you can exchange enough of the foreign parts with U.S. made so that it becomes a legally "U.S. manufactured" weapon, like an AR15. But you made not be able to do it from a state level....right?
I'm not sure of the rationale behind NJ gun control legislation. I believe it has more to do with eliminating as many of the evil black rifles as possible. A detachable mag and a pistol grip make the SKS into a "black rifle" regardless of where the parts are made.

In speaking to NJ LEOs I can't even get a clear answer to whether using hollow point ammunition is legal in a justified shooting even inside your own home. (It's illegal to CARRY HP ammo for anyone other than uniformed LE, but you can own it for target shooting). So trying to figure out the intricacies of NJ gun control is an excercise in futility. Court decisions dealing with guns in NJ are pretty arbitrary and, unless you have deep pockets to pay a lawyer, you're at the mercy of the local judges so it's better to err on the side of caution IMO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In speaking to NJ LEOs I can't even get a clear answer to whether using hollow point ammunition is legal in a justified shooting even inside your own home.
I can sympathize with them. It's hard to enforce laws that are unclear and muddled. Heck, I've gotten confilcting answers from the ATF on some issues.
The government, which normally confuses the citizens, has now confused itself, and can't even explain themselves.:nuts:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts