1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Some guy on another forum was trying to tell me I had other problems when it wouldnt eject the 7.0 grain loads...he thinks 7.2 - 7.3 is +P.
Also he claims 860 fps from a 5 inch 1911 with 6.9 grains under a 230 FMJ...I'm not saying he's lying...but he didnt consider the OAL, different brass, different primers, and most importantly...different bullets. He seemed to not understand that all 230 grain bullets are not created equal and behave differently.
He did say JHP builds more pressure, which is true...but he seemed to think ALL 230 FMJ (TMJ in my case) were all the same.

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
7.2-7.3 might be +P if you're using about a 1.150 oal. Agreed, he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does. Prime example of why you have to take ALL reloading advice with a grain of salt and a little forethought. Don't just dive in and accept all info as gosple truth. Good to see all ent well. Going slow gives good results and you can see changes in things when you only change one thing at a time. I.E. powder charge only, oal only, bullet only. Then you can fine tune your results.

Can't wait for next years deer hunt results. You'll have a lot of time to try diff things. An imagination is a wonderful thing. That's how I found 255 cowboy bullets. :wink: Tracy

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Great...m1911 forum wont let me reply to my own thread.
I was just trying to nicely explain to that guy what I found out about how these loads worked.....and POOF...I get a message saying this thread is way too old to revive...and I only started it yesterday...go figure...pardon me for saying this but...TO HELL WITH THAT PLACE.

EDIT: they let me say my piece...now I'm done with them.

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
I didn't keep records of my reloads for about the first yr or so. Wish I could remember some of myfirst loads. Tried a different powder each time one ran out. By the time I got around to going back to an already used powder, I couldn't remember what loads worked best for each bullet. I've loaded rds from 152 gr to 300 grs. All worked well for it's intended purpose. Wish somebody would give me another 500 of the 300 gr'rs like they did the first time I used them. Liked them a lot, but they're not as economical as my 255's. Tracy

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.